"Lake Superior Iron Ore Port Turned University Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette by atufft
Marquette Travel Guide: 158 reviews and 309 photos
I traveled from Munising through to Duluth during a weekend, and I found the setting and access to Lake Superior most pleasant. There is a long stretch of beach on the eastern side with fine gravel and sand. The old town itself lies in a cove close to a point of land, with a hill where there are many residences.
The Iron Ore Port once spoiled the port atmosphere, but now the unused structure stands waiting for a new purpose. Meanwhile, the former teacher's college founded in 1869 with modest architecture is now emerging as a full sized state university with newer modern structures, all located over the hill from the port.
The downtown is popular in the summer months, and shop keepers report that much activity comes from parents picking up or dropping off their kids at the Northern Michigan State University. The late 19th century architecture reveals some wealth brought to the city during the boom period of iron ore export, and above downtown are old restored residences of considerable architectural effort.
I parked the truck overnight at a pull-out (where sign said no overnight parking) a couple miles east of Marquette,... more travel advice
Marquette is a good place to shop for fine souvenir gifts. I bought a very nice locally made wood clock that shows the... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Marquette Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Small Town next to a Big Lake"
- "Marquette, Michigan, One of My Favorite Towns"
- "Drew's new Marquette Page"
- "Lake Superior Iron Ore Port Turned University Town"
- "Living in Marquette"
- "Marquette, Michigan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Marquette
- Hotels in Marquette
- Transportation in Marquette
- Nightlife in Marquette
- Restaurants in Marquette
- Shopping in Marquette
- Warnings and Dangers in Marquette
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Marquette
- 10 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Marquette?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Marquette
Photos in MarquetteSee All Photos (48)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 208 reviews, 788 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (78)
Latest Marquette hotel reviews
- Holiday Inn Marquette
- 138 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Ramada Inn Marquette
- 113 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Landmark Inn
- 146 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 17, 2013
- Marquette Days Inn
- 120 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 16, 2013
- Americas Best Value Inn
- 107 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 30, 2013