"The Looking Glass River Watershed" Grand Ledge by atufft

Grand Ledge Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 22 photos

Walking Away from Grand Ledge Flying J

At Exit 90 on I-96 in Grand Ledge, Michigan there is a Flying J Truck Stop. I had to stop here for a day to wait for a load of apples destine for a produce processing plant near Atlanta, GA. If I have more than a few hours to kill, I do my best to put on my walking shoes and get away from the truck stop. I want to not only get some exercise and lose the calories gained eating truck stop food, but also appreciate a little about the place through which I am traveling. On this occasion in early spring, I began by walking along West Grand Ave into the countryside just outside the town of Grand Ledge.

Grand River and the Looking Glass Watershed

Walking along West Grand Avenue, which is a rather busy highway, I found the sign pictured here. I learned that I was within the watershed of the Looking Glass River, a tributary of the Grand River. The Grand River is the longest river in Michigan, and the cities of Grand Rapids and Lansing, as well as the small town of Grand Ledge, are located on this river. Grand Rapids received it's name from a series of cataracts on the river, rapids which have since been eliminated by river engineers.

Look Glass Watershed in Early Spring

In any case, I decided to continue my walk along the less busy back roads of this particular area. The landscape is of wetland forest, undulating corn fields, and periodic red barn in disrepair, all of which are gradually giving way to country estate horse farm and smaller rural estate home properties. Although it was a warm and pleasant day, it was still early spring and the trees were just breaking bud. Mating bird songs filled the air, and occasionally, I would see a jack rabbit run across a field.

• Intro Updated Apr 18, 2008

• SteveOSF's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2008 at 11:00 AM

Nice look into the rural Mid-West.

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2008 at 10:55 AM

Alan, great photos of rural Michigan. It looks so much like where I grew up in Western PA. You should strap a bike onto the back of that rig so you can get in some extra miles of sightseeing!

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2008 at 9:30 AM

Beautiful opening photo, Alan, and I love the tale of the two children. Simple pleasure! leyle

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2008 at 11:01 PM

Love the opening photo. RVs are also welcome at Flying J Truck stops. We have used them occasionally for over nights when there wasn't a Wal-Mart or state park around to stay in. I also wear ear plugs, the noise really bothers my sleep.

atufft

“California is on the edge of the planet, not the center of the universe”

Badges & Stats in Grand Ledge

Have you been to Grand Ledge?

Latest Activity in Grand Ledge