"The Looking Glass River Watershed" Grand Ledge by atufft
Grand Ledge Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 22 photos
At Exit 90 on I-96 in Grand Ledge, Michigan there is a Flying J Truck Stop. I had to stop here for a day to wait for a load of apples destine for a produce processing plant near Atlanta, GA. If I have more than a few hours to kill, I do my best to put on my walking shoes and get away from the truck stop. I want to not only get some exercise and lose the calories gained eating truck stop food, but also appreciate a little about the place through which I am traveling. On this occasion in early spring, I began by walking along West Grand Ave into the countryside just outside the town of Grand Ledge.
Walking along West Grand Avenue, which is a rather busy highway, I found the sign pictured here. I learned that I was within the watershed of the Looking Glass River, a tributary of the Grand River. The Grand River is the longest river in Michigan, and the cities of Grand Rapids and Lansing, as well as the small town of Grand Ledge, are located on this river. Grand Rapids received it's name from a series of cataracts on the river, rapids which have since been eliminated by river engineers.
In any case, I decided to continue my walk along the less busy back roads of this particular area. The landscape is of wetland forest, undulating corn fields, and periodic red barn in disrepair, all of which are gradually giving way to country estate horse farm and smaller rural estate home properties. Although it was a warm and pleasant day, it was still early spring and the trees were just breaking bud. Mating bird songs filled the air, and occasionally, I would see a jack rabbit run across a field.
American trucking is of such large scale that the vehicles can no longer park just anywhere. These monster vehicles are... more travel advice
Rural Michigan roads are often paved only the roadbase, a rare thing in my home state of California where asphalt is... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Grand Ledge Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Looking Glass River Watershed"
- "fluteangel's new Grand Ledge Page"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Grand Ledge
- 4 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (151)
Have you been to Grand Ledge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grand Ledge
Photos in Grand LedgeSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 228 reviews, 849 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos