"1830 Massachusetts Village Life Revisited" Top 5 Page for this destination Sturbridge by atufft

Sturbridge Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 79 photos

Near the Junction of I-90 and I-84

Sturbridge is located on US20, in Worcester County, at the junction of the Massachusetts Turnpike (I-90) and I-84, just north of a low range of hills that divides Massachusetts from Connecticut. The town was first settled in 1729 and is named after Stourbridge, England, but the chief attraction in town is the 1771 Publick House restaurant and hotel, and the outstanding 1830 village life recreation known at Old Sturbridge Village. The quiet relaxed atmosphere and casual tourism of the old and new towns is a pleasant contrast with urban Boston and tourist trap Massachusetts Bay colony restorations just 45 minutes away.

Good opportunity for truckers...

Off I-84, just 3 miles from the junction of I-90 and I-84 is a Pilot with plenty of parking space. I have walked in the depth of winter from the truck stop into Sturbridge. The Pilot permits dropping the trailer though, and I have also taken my wife and dog for a ride into town by semi-tractor. The Old Sturbridge has parking for RVs and plenty of space for a spare tractor. Publick House is a little harder, but we were able to find a spot to park before we ate. The food at Publick House is better than the truck stop, needless to say.

• Last visit to Sturbridge: Jun 2010
  • Intro Updated Jun 29, 2010

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2014 at 7:48 AM

This is in my Must Visit, but when ;-)))

• atufft's Profile Photo
      Mar 3, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Thanks for the comment Ken j. Ottawa is not far from Sturbridge...

• Mar 13, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Beautiful photos and description. Thanks for sharing! Bev

• glabah's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2010 at 9:16 PM

You've definitely created a huge improvement to the information about this living history museum/community available on VirtualTourist. Hope some visit here as a result, rather than the tourist traps.

atufft Visits Here Frequently!

atufft

“California is on the edge of the planet, not the center of the universe”

Badges & Stats in Sturbridge

Have you been to Sturbridge?