"International Rice Festival" Crowley by atufft
Crowley Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 8 photos
No doubt more rice is grown on the corporate farms of California's Sacramento River Delta than is in the bajous of Louisiana, but Crowley's celebration certainly has culture and history on its side. I stumbled upon the festival when I took I-10 Exit 80 looking for a Cajun meal on a Friday night. Strangely, only the usual corporate junk food places remained open near the freeway and none of the local style restaurants were open, so I decided to walk the 1/2 mile or so into town. What a chance discovery! The old rather worn downtown of Crowley was alive with music and food, and local folks filled the street. There were several live bands playing, and so I walked around looking to purchase my food on the run. Oddly, none of the food I found focused on rice---no sushi here--rather, greasy Cajun junk food prevailed at prices that served to pay for the music.
This festival caters to the locals mostly. Everyone seems to know each other, and there's open drinking and dancing on... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Crowley Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "International Rice Festival"
- "Crowley, Acadia Parish, Louisiana"
- "Basaic Crowley Page"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Crowley
- 3 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (83)
Have you been to Crowley?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Crowley
Photos in CrowleySee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 215 reviews, 818 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos