"Cathedral of the Plains..." Victoria by atufft
Victoria Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 44 photos
Victoria, population less than 2,000, is one of the more interesting villages along the Highway 40 route through central Kansas. Although census statistics report that the town is 99% white, the whites are of very mixed heritage--Scotch aristocrats and German/Russian farmers. George Grant purchased some 28,000 acres from railroad and sold estates to wealthy Scots, who eventually grew weary of the place and left. But, they provided the town's name, the Aberdeen Angus breed of cattle that is still raised in the area, and Grant remained until his death. The other immigrants were German/Russian farmers who pioneered a nearby town named Herzog, which eventually became absorbed into Victoria. The railroad and farming industry remains undistinguished from any other town in Kansas, but the Cathedral of the Plains, properly known as St. Fedelis Church, is quite spectacular and worthy contribution of the immigrant German/Russians, and wlll worth a brief visit to town. Grant's native sandstone home is also worth a stop.
In additon to the water tower, the small town has a few early 20th century homes typical of the midwestern architecture.... more travel advice
Very near St. Fidelis Church is an impressive limestone statue dedicated to the Volga-German pioneers that founded... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Victoria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cathedral of the Plains..."
- "Its Elegance Has Earned a Listing on the Atlas"
- "Proud Legacy of the Volga Germans"
- "Victoria, Kansas and the Cathedral of the Plains"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Victoria
- 5 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (151)
Have you been to Victoria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Victoria
- Posted in Travel San Francisco Forum "Re: Events in San Francisco"
- Commented on one of basstbn's Victoria travel pages
- updated a Victoria Travel Page "Cathedral of the Plains..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Cathedral of the Plains..."
- Wrote a Review Miscellaneous Residential Buildings in Victoria Things to Do
Photos in VictoriaSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 228 reviews, 849 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos