"Childhood Home of Senator Bob Dole" Russell by atufft
Russell Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 26 photos
Russell is a farming town of slightly less than 5,000 residents, and the county seat of Russell County Kansas. Sunflowers and millet are one reason I chose to visit this town in central Kansas, as part of a scenic drive along Hwy 40, which parallels I-70. I arrived in Russel on a Saturday afternoon, and found the town all but closed. There are very few restaurants in town, and despite the lack of shoppers walking around, the local radio broadcast of a ballgame was piped through outdoor speakers on every block. The architecture of the town is of marginal interest value; nevertheless, there is some architecture worthy of my camera work, and frankly, the brick paved streets are a feature anyone from California would envy. I met a few residents and learned a little about life in small town Kansas. The complexion of this town is 97% white. Oh! Yeah, and there's a little oil and natural gas extraction in the region too. Mostly slow pumpers though.
Most Americans remember Bob Dole as the long time minority leader in the senate who also ran for president on the Republican ticket. He's a one armed veteran of World War II, and in his presidential run, he lost to another man born and raised in the center of the USA--Bill Clinton. Russell is also the childhood home of Senator Arlen Spector. After I parked my truck near the juntion of Hwys 28 and 40, at the entrance to the downtown business district, I walked into town and visited among other places, the house where Bob Dole was raised.
The Heym/Oliver house is a classic 19th century home along Russell's historic Kansas street. more travel advice
The childhood home of Bob Dole is across the railroad tracks and to the left. The house is still occupied, but outside... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Russell Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Russell
- 5 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (82)
Have you been to Russell?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Russell
- Posted in Travel San Francisco Forum "Re: 2 day itenerary for SF with..."
- updated a Russell Travel Page "Childhood Home of Senator Bob Dole"
- Commented on one of John195123's Russell travel pages
- Wrote a Review Heym/Oliver House in Russell Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Childhood Home of Senator Bob Dole"
Photos in RussellSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 215 reviews, 818 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos