"Fort Hays, Boot Hill, and the State University" Top 5 Page for this destination Hays by atufft
Hays Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 110 photos
The town's name comes from the fort that was established to protect the railroad and to periodically punish the Indians who by the late 19th century had become something of a nuisance on the frontier. What is left of the fort has now been restored and protected as a museum.
Downtown of Hays is surprisingly dull considering this a university town and the sizeable inventory of old brick commercial buildings. It's also surprising that Hays is so quiet downtown, given its the only town of significant size along I-70 in west Kansas. However, there are brick paved streets and lots of old brick buildings and other things to see downtown if one has an hour or so to kill. The wild west pioneer town of sheriff Wild Bill Hickock and Buffalo Bill is well documented by historic signs downtown, informing the visitor that what is quiet and peaceful today was once riotous and wild.
The liberal arts college has a lovely campus with early 20th century buildings made of locally quarried limestone. The University is along a creek and is not far from the fort.
Hays has a population of only 20,000, but the university is a substantial enrollment of 9,000 student. Thus, the... more travel advice
At 305 West 7th Street, only a few blocks from the university but still in downtown, the First United Methodist Church... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Hays Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fort Hays, Boot Hill, and the State University"
- "A LAND OF STRANGE BASKETBALL FANS?"
- "Hays, America"
- "Halfway between Kansas City and Denver"
- "An "All American town.""
- "jan58's Hays Page"
- "Hays, Kansas"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hays
- 18 Reviews
- 87 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (150)
Have you been to Hays?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hays
Photos in HaysSee All Photos (87)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 228 reviews, 849 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 42 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos