Dodge City Tourist Trap Tips by atufft Top 5 Page for this destination
Dodge City Tourist Traps: 1 reviews and 2 photos
Slaughteryard Overlook outside Dodge City, KS
Driving southwest from Great Bend to Dodge City, there is a smelly overlook above Excell Corporation's huge beef processing plant. These crowded and inhumane feed lots are frankly disgusting in my mind, serving as a reminder that the western cattle drives really deserve their nostalgia. In those days, at least the cattle were able to graze over thousands of acres of lush Kansas prairie before arriving at the railroad where they would be sent to Kansas City for slaughter. Today, 500-600 pound calves are brought the plant and within 140 days are fattened up to some 1,200-1,300 lbs. Of this, some 850 lbs are eatable beef, while the rest--organs, bloods, fat, skin, and bones, are used to produce a wide variety of chemicals and leather products. Excell Corporation processes 6,000 cattle per day, six days a week, making it one of the world's largest beef processors. Nearby National Beef is the world's largest privately held beef processor, processing 4,000 head of cattle per day. The world's largest cattle auction is also in Dodge City. Kansas in general dominates the beef industry in the USA, by producing one quarter of all beef produced in the USA.
More Reviews (17)
atufft's Related Pages
Dodge City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dodge is Tough like leather"
- "Dodge City - Middle of ?????"
- "Coronado, 3 Dodges, Wyatt Earp, and Gunsmoke"
- "True Kansas"
- "The End of the Trail - Dodge City"
- "Welcome to Dodge City!"
- "The REAL Wild West"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dodge City
- Hotels in Dodge City
- Transportation in Dodge City
- Restaurants in Dodge City
- Warnings and Dangers in Dodge City
- See All...
Explore the World
- Pakenham Hotels
- Bad Schandau
- Tongariro National Park Hotels
- Maggie Valley Hotels
- Tarpon Springs
- Cabo Rojo Hotels
Badges & Stats in Dodge City
- 18 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (78)
Have you been to Dodge City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dodge City
- Posted in Travel San Francisco Forum "Re: Job Search. Let's go!"
- updated a Dodge City Travel Page "Coronado, 3 Dodges, Wyatt Earp, and Gunsmoke"
- Wrote a Review Smelly Overlook off US56 in Dodge City Tourist Traps
- Uploaded a Photo to "Smelly Overlook off US56"
- Commented on one of BruceDunning's Dodge City travel pages
Photos in Dodge CitySee All Photos (53)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 202 reviews, 759 photos
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 38 reviews, 165 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos