"Silver Mining Boom Town Below I-90" Wallace by atufft
Wallace Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 66 photos
Idaho's Silver Valley is located along I-90 and the South Fork of the Coeur d'Alene River, between Lookout Pass and the Montana border. Wallace, population less than 1,000, was the wealthiest of the silver mining towns in Silver Valley, so it has the largest collection of buildings listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In fact, the entire town is listed as a Historic Landmark, which resulted in the construction of an unusual raised freeway system when I-90 was improved to modern standards. As a result, motorists can get off the freeway and spend easily from a couple of hours to a couple of days browsing the streets of peaceful Wallace. The town has not only an extraordinary historic downtown, but also a large collection of residences, some still in need of restoration, all within a beautiful mountain setting. The last time I drove through, the trees were in full autumn glory. In addition to the town, there are numerous ski resorts and mountaineering activities in the region. Mission Cataldo, which is about 10 miles west of Wallace on I-90, is also a great place to stop.
This really isn't located within Wallace, but rather is a very few miles west near the small town of Cataldo, ID. But,... more travel advice
Along High Street, there are several homes of architectural interest, but the more interesting home is the one with lots... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Wallace Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Silver Mining Boom Town Below I-90"
- "A Step Back in Time..."
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wallace
- 11 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (150)
Have you been to Wallace?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wallace
Photos in WallaceSee All Photos (48)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 228 reviews, 849 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos