"Remarkable Old Mission at Cataldo" Cataldo by atufft
Cataldo Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 53 photos
The oldest building in Idaho and one of the oldest in the Northwest, the Old Mission at Cataldo is also a remarkable architectural acheivement designed by the Italian Jesuit Priest, Antonio Ravalli. Dating back to 1850, the previous activity by the Jesuits within the Schee-chu-umsh Tribe, better known at the Coeur D' Alenes, began at this site around 1842. The original wab and dattle walls were covered inside and out by Father Joseph Caruana in 1965, but the building remains essentially unaltered since then. In 1976, as a Bicentennial project, the building was restored according to the original methods of construction. The church was owned by the Jesuits until 1924, when it was deeded to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Boise, Idaho. In 1975, the Mission and the grounds around it became an Idaho State Park. Soon, a modern 3,000 square foot visitors center will open, which will house indigenous and pioneer artifacts found in the region. I highly recommend a stop here on the way through I-90 in the Silver Valley.
There's a new 3,000 sq. ft. visitors center due to open in Spring of 2009. This will be the new home for many fragile... more travel advice
Several Coeur d'Alene chiefs and many tribe members, along with priests and others who came to the mission, are buried... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Cataldo Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Cataldo
- 13 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (151)
Have you been to Cataldo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cataldo
- Posted in Travel San Francisco Forum "Re: Events in San Francisco"
- Commented on one of basstbn's Cataldo travel pages
- Wrote a Review Silver Mining Display in Cataldo Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Dug Out Canoe and New Visitors Center"
- created a Cataldo Travel Page "Remarkable Old Mission at Cataldo"
Photos in CataldoSee All Photos (47)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 228 reviews, 849 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos