"A Bicycle Ride Through Waterloo and Elk Run" Waterloo by atufft
Waterloo Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 58 photos
In the flood of 2008, the system of levees and concrete seawalls along both sides of the Cedar River at Waterloo more or less worked, leaving greater disaster to downstream farmland and the larger city of Cedar Rapids. This was fortunate for Waterloo, as this city has had only a brief period of success during its century and a half of existence. The town was founded and named by the Hanna, Virden, and Mullan families in 1845-46, but was slow to develop until it became a railroad junction in the 1880's. Between the 1880's and 1920, the town grew considerably, becoming the location for farm equipment manufacturing, meat packing, and even brass era automobile manufacturing. It was during this time that the city's current stock of gothic and art deco style commercial buildings and churches were constructed. I cycled into Waterloo from nearby Elk Run, where there's a large truck stop just off US20.
Downtown restaurants and business were mostly closed on the Sunday that I pedaled into town, but I found a small wealth of gothic and art deco architecture to photograph. Many of the commercial buildings are empty or waiting for a better purpose while the churches seem to remain in business even though Waterloo. The compact arrangement of churches along 4th street were particularly interesting. Later, in my return to the truck stop, I discovered the nature trail, a well constructed bicycle path that goes along the levees from Waterloo to Elk Run.
The Grout Science Museum, on 4th street near the river, is a well endowed touch and experience museum that unfortunately... more travel advice
On 4th street, on the west side of downtown, there is a city block of nearly solid church architecture. There are... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Waterloo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Waterloo, Iowa"
- "My Turf"
- "A Bicycle Ride Through Waterloo and Elk Run"
- "WATERLOO, IOWA"
- "Why choose Waterloo / Cedar Falls"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Waterloo
- Hotels in Waterloo
- Nightlife in Waterloo
- Restaurants in Waterloo
- Warnings and Dangers in Waterloo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Waterloo
- 8 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (82)
Have you been to Waterloo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Waterloo
- Posted in Travel San Francisco Forum "Re: 2 day itenerary for SF with..."
- Commented on one of mikehanneman's Waterloo travel pages
- Wrote a Review Grout Science Museum and Statue of Liberty Replica in Waterloo Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Grout Science Museum and Statue of Liberty Replica"
- created a Waterloo Travel Page "A Bicycle Ride Through Waterloo and Elk Run"
Photos in WaterlooSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 215 reviews, 818 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos