"Former Capitol Now University Town" Iowa City by atufft
Iowa City Travel Guide: 100 reviews and 161 photos
On the southeast side of the city, away from the river, and a surprising distance from I-80, Proctor and Gamble has a substantial factory, but nearby there are also a number of distributors that supply eastern Iowa merchants. I delivered frozen natural grain pizza crusts and other processed foods to the United Natural Food Industry (UNFI) distribution there. This is typical of my interaction with Iowa City, as I normally just pass through on my way to somewhere else. On this occasion though, I had minor repair issues that needed resolving, so I took the time to take the transit bus into town for a look around.
Iowa City is the county seat of Johnson County and has a modest population of 67,000, with a metropolitan area of about 150,000. In the center of town is the first dome capitol building of the state of Iowa, now a museum and tourist attraction cared for by the University of Iowa. The town was founded in 1839 by executive order of the territorial governor who had wanted a capitol site closer to the center of the then Iowa Territory. After the capitol building was finished, Iowa City remained an active capitol for only 15 years before it was moved to the current location at Des Moines. Iowa City is located on bluffs well above the Iowa River, but in 2008, University of Iowa buildings located on lower land were flooded. The city has also faced devastation by tornadoes. Winter blizzards are an annual event residents are accustomed to weathering.
For those who want to stop off I-80 in on their way through, the downtown area has food and entertainment enough. A walk through the Iowa Campus is well worth the exercise.
Bicycling is very popular in Iowa in general, and Iowa City in particular. more travel advice
Down the hill from the Capitol Mall, but still a block or two away from the river, is the College of Education building.... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Iowa City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Iowa City Is A Great Town To Have Fun!"
- "Lovely place...."
- "Ah, youth..."
- "Former Capitol Now University Town"
- "Iowa City"
- "Capital of BOREDOM!!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Iowa City
- Hotels in Iowa City
- Transportation in Iowa City
- Nightlife in Iowa City
- Restaurants in Iowa City
- Shopping in Iowa City
- Warnings and Dangers in Iowa City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Iowa City
- 17 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (82)
Have you been to Iowa City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Iowa City
Photos in Iowa CitySee All Photos (48)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 215 reviews, 818 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos