"Last Stop for Buddy Holly and Ritchie Valens" Clear Lake by atufft
Clear Lake Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 70 photos
Mason City, population about 30,000 is the largest town in north central Iowa, offering travelers a noteable concentration of "Prairie School" architecture, the most famous building of which is a hotel design by Frank Lloyd Wright in 1909. About 10 miles north of Mason City, once connected by the historic 19th century electric Iowa Traction Railroad, which is still in some operation today, is located a large spring fed lake, known as Clear Lake. The town beside the lake has some 8,000 residents, with about double that number in summer. The lakeside cottages are summer homes for folks as far away as Chicago and Des Moines. I stumbled upon the town of Clear Lake when I stopped my truck at the Pilot Truck stop at the junction of I-35 and IA-122. The lake and town aren't very evident from the interstate freeway, and it's collection of corporate junk food restaurants. Looking for a locally owned restaurant for breakfast, I decided to walk the mile into town, so it was completely by accident that I discovered the beauty of this sizeable lake and the town beside it. It was also completely by accident that this was the last stop for musical idols Buddy Holly and Ritchie Valens. After a performance at the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake, the musical band's private aircraft crashed into a field nearby town. This event is memorialized in town by a variety of ways.
The images for these pages were taken with my 2mpx iPhone camera, so please excuse the less than ideal technical results.
Along 19th street there is a historic single overhead wire DC electric train system that still provides local industry... more travel advice
At the truckstop, I had the choice between Perkos and Denny's, two corporate franchises. So, I decided to walk into town... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Clear Lake Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Last Stop for Buddy Holly and Ritchie Valens"
- "Where the Music Died"
- "clear lake fishing"
- "The place to enjoy a sunset"
- "Latham's Clear Lake Iowa Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Clear Lake
- Transportation in Clear Lake
- Nightlife in Clear Lake
- Restaurants in Clear Lake
- Shopping in Clear Lake
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Clear Lake
- 12 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (151)
Have you been to Clear Lake?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Clear Lake
- Posted in Travel San Francisco Forum "Re: Events in San Francisco"
- Commented on one of atufft's Clear Lake tips
- Wrote a Review Cycling Around Clear Lake in Clear Lake Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Iowa Traction Railroad"
- updated a Clear Lake Travel Page "Last Stop for Buddy Holly and Ritchie Valens"
Photos in Clear LakeSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 228 reviews, 849 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos