"Modernist Architect Frank Lloyd Wright's Work" Cedar Rock State Park by atufft
Cedar Rock State Park Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 24 photos
Cedar Rock is a limestone bluff that overlooks the Wapsipinicon River in Buchanan County, IA, but is most famous for one of Frank Lloyd Wright's most complete and best preserved architectural masterpieces.
The house was inspired by the life of self-made millionaire Lowell Walter, and his wife, who wanted a middle class home in this great location overlooking the river. If you are driving in this area, this is a must stop. The experience will take 1-2 hours, because the house is about a half mile down a trail from the visitors center. Call the park and make reservations if you are disabled. There's a tractor pulled trolley that goes to the house along a gravel road.
In my case, the park was closed, so I simply walked in the gate. This was for me a pleasant hike on the property in solitude, accompanied only by my canine companion, Whitney, whom I let roam off leash. Iowa doesn't have much forest left, so this is a very nice mixture of rolling hill corn farms and forest margin along the river.
Cedar Rock makes for a bend in the river, and down by the river Wright built a simple boathouse for Lowell Walter to... more travel advice
Wright also designed a fountain on the promontory in front of the house, and an open brick fire pit above the house. The... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Cedar Rock State Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Modernist Architect Frank Lloyd Wright's Work"
- Create a Cedar Rock State Park Travel Page
Badges & Stats in Cedar Rock State Park
- 5 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (150)
Have you been to Cedar Rock State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cedar Rock State Park
Photos in Cedar Rock State ParkSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 228 reviews, 849 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos