"Hilo Not as rainy as claimed:)" Hilo by atufft
Hilo Travel Guide: 250 reviews and 536 photos
It didn't pour when we were there, and in the morning we enjoyed watching sea kayaks paddle across the bay. Hilo is the older town on the big island, providing support for the agricultural industry in the area. Downtown dates back to at least the 1940's when sailors no doubt spent time looking around.
Old trees are the advantage of an old town such as Hilo. This city has tourism as does any in Hawaii, but the Hilo crowd is bearable in its behavior.
Gardens, boutique towns, and lava beach are nearby and easy to get to. Hilo is closer to Volcanoes National Park than is Kona, the more popular tourist resort city on the island.
- Pros:Wet and Wonderful, Clean Air and View of Pacific
- Cons:Older Hotel and Restaurant Infrastructure
- In a nutshell:Hilo has original Hawaiian character and deserves a stay...
Because prices and service in this industry changes constantly, I can't justify recommending any one company. But, one... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Hilo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Business Center of the Big Island"
- "The lush windward coast"
- "Big Island - Big Sights"
- "Rainforest Trip"
- "Hilo and surroundings"
- "Hilo - the rainiest city in the United States?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hilo
- Hotels in Hilo
- Transportation in Hilo
- Nightlife in Hilo
- Restaurants in Hilo
- Shopping in Hilo
- Warnings and Dangers in Hilo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hilo
- 3 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (82)
Have you been to Hilo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hilo
Photos in HiloSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 215 reviews, 818 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos