"North of Tampa Bay Wetlands" Top 5 Page for this destination Weeki Wachee by atufft
Weeki Wachee Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 126 photos
This Hernando County town supposedly has a population of 12, but within the area of the Weeki Wachee Springs Park and Preserve, there are obviously a lot more residents crowded around some freshwater bayous that feed in to the Gulf of Mexico, about an hour's driving time north of Tampa Bay. The original "town" centers on a 1940's era theme park featuring the Weeki Wachee Mermaids. While the theme park still thrives, the real "mermaids" are the manatee that inhabit this fresh water wetland area. Although not all visitors can expect to see this wonderful "sea cows", I was fortunate to spot a group of them during a boat ride with a friend and resident of the area. The image here shows his boat.
This is a good place to drink a pitcher of beer and munch on buffalo (chicken) wings or deep fried fish smothered in... more travel advice
The park has a dedicated fresh water swimming area that children love. Families like to buy or rent inflatable... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Weeki Wachee Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Weeki Wachee and the Nature Coast"
- "Mythical Mermaids"
- "North of Tampa Bay Wetlands"
- "Weeki Wachee Golf and quiet"
- "Weeki Wachee Springs, Florida on the Nature Coast"
- "weeki wachee florida"
- "The Mermaid Show"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Weeki Wachee
- Hotels in Weeki Wachee
- Restaurants in Weeki Wachee
- Shopping in Weeki Wachee
- Warnings and Dangers in Weeki Wachee
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Weeki Wachee
- 7 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (162)
Have you been to Weeki Wachee?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Weeki Wachee
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 228 reviews, 849 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos