"Florida's Greek Fishing Village and Sponge Docks" Top 5 Page for this destination Tarpon Springs by atufft
Tarpon Springs Travel Guide: 62 reviews and 134 photos
Tarpon Springs was named by Mary Ormond, who, with her father, was the first non-indigenous person to settle in the area, beginning in 1876. Mary named the area Tarpon Springs because of the abundance of fish that were available in the bayou. But, the early years of much of this part of west Florida was quickly subject to land speculation and development of beach resorts. However, in 1887, one promoter discovered the economic benefit in harvesting the naturally occurring sponges. Greek immigrant divers were brought in, the industry expanded to some 500 divers and 50 boats by 1905, and so for thirty years thereafter Tarpon Springs was not only the "Sponge Capital of the World", but Florida's largest industry--even larger than tourism or citrus farming. In 1947 at red tide algae bloom nearly wiped out the entire industry. But, the Greek fishing village continued to thrive as tourists arrived to shop and eat. Today, most of the sponges sold in Tarpon Springs are imported, but there is a concerted effort to revive the sponge beds into an active industry again. There are two active commercial sponge fishing vessels, as I had a chance during my visit to talk with the owner of one of them. In addition to the sponge docks, there is an active Greek community and the really great county beach side park--Fred H Howard Park.
There aren't any waves, particularly on the bayside at Fred H Howard Park, but the winds are gentle and constant.... more travel advice
There's a causeway that leads to a sandbar island with plenty of beach access on both the bayside and gulf side. See the... more travel advice
- See All Tarpon Springs Farmer's Market
- See All Mother Meres Memorial
- Parking at the Sponge Docks
atufft's Related Pages
Tarpon Springs Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Florida's Greek Fishing Village and Sponge Docks"
- "Tarpon Springs - A Greek town not on the Med"
- "tarpon springs florida"
- "A little bit of Greece in Florida"
- "ZenGator's Tarpon Springs Briefing"
- "Tarpon Springs"
- "Sponge Divers"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tarpon Springs
- Hotels in Tarpon Springs
- Transportation in Tarpon Springs
- Nightlife in Tarpon Springs
- Restaurants in Tarpon Springs
- Shopping in Tarpon Springs
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tarpon Springs
- 22 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (83)
Have you been to Tarpon Springs?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tarpon Springs
- Posted in Travel San Francisco Forum "Re: Information on transportation..."
- Commented on one of Ewingjr98's Tarpon Springs travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Windsurfing at Fred H Howard Park"
- Wrote a Review Windsurfing at Fred H Howard Park in Tarpon Springs Sports & Outdoors
- updated a Tarpon Springs Travel Page "Florida's Greek Fishing Village and Sponge Docks"
Photos in Tarpon SpringsSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 215 reviews, 818 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos