"Heart of the Old Florida Orange Industry" Haines City by atufft
Haines City Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 58 photos
Florida is by far the flattest state in the USA. There are no mountains and barely any hills to speak of, but down the center in the upper half of the state is a "sand ridge" that provides well-drained soil for the citrus industry. Until recently, the majority of growers were located in this region around Haines City and to the north of it. After major frosts destroyed whole citris orchards in the 1980's though, the industry moved south. Now, in large corporate farms in the south of Florida, where the sand ridge doesn't reach, water is pumped out of, rather into, the citrus orchards. Smaller and midsized citris orchards remain around central Florida, and these are producers of the best tasting fruit. Meanwhile, the warehouse industry and towns such as Haines City are a mixture of old decaying centers and suburban build-up.
Apparently, the city has managed to attract redevelopment money for the center of the city based partly on its ability... more travel advice
As I walked through a neighborhood of Haines City, poor white young adults eyed me suspiciously. I was told at the Bible... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Haines City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Heart of the Old Florida Orange Industry"
- "Haines City & Davenport, Florida"
- "Passing through Haines City & Davenport, Florida"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Haines City
- Transportation in Haines City
- Restaurants in Haines City
- Warnings and Dangers in Haines City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Haines City
- 15 Reviews
- 56 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (82)
Have you been to Haines City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Haines City
Photos in Haines CitySee All Photos (56)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 215 reviews, 818 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos