"Hat City and Home of Charles Ives" Danbury by atufft
Danbury Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 50 photos
This town of 80,000 is now mostly an immigrant suburb north of New York, with some warehousing industries, which was why I visited there--to deliver CA produce. I had some time, so I unhitched the trailer and drove downtown. Main street has enough commercial architecture of significant historical interest that all of Main Street, between Liberty and Elm Streets, has been designated as a Historical Landmark.
Also, along a stretch of Liberty street, there are a number of churches of architectural interest. There's a nice little brick pedestrian walk off Main Street to narrow Ives Street, prompting me to soon learn that this was once the hometown of Charles Ives, perhaps the greatest American classical composer.
This is a good stop for some good Latin American ethnic grub along the I-84 corridor, as there is in particular a fine Brazilian bakery and restaurant downtown. And, just off Ives is a nice park with a bandstand that no doubt has summer concerts.
Read the well written Wikipedia article on this city.
On the Wachovia Bank (now Wells Fargo Bank) Building on Main Street is a plate commemorating the location of the Ives... more travel advice
Sybil Ludington was a colonel's daughter who heroically rode a horse, as did Paul Revere, to spread the news to various... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Danbury Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hat City and Home of Charles Ives"
- "Danbury Connecticut"
- "Scargo's Danbury Page"
- "My Home Away From Home For 5 Nights"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Danbury
- Hotels in Danbury
- Restaurants in Danbury
- Shopping in Danbury
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Danbury
- 9 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (82)
Have you been to Danbury?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Danbury
Photos in DanburySee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 215 reviews, 818 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos