"Agricultural Town on the Upper Colorado River" Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Junction by atufft
Grand Junction Travel Guide: 75 reviews and 163 photos
Until the House of Representatives officially changed its name in 1921, what is now known as the upper Colorado River had been refered to as the Grand River. Until that time, the Colorado River began at the confluence of the Green (see Green River, WY) and Grand Rivers. However, the name Grand Junction was not for this confluence, but for the confluence of the Grand and Gunnison Rivers. In any case, Grand Junction is the largest town on the western slope of the the Colorado Rockies, and is set within a wide agricultural region also known as the Grand Valley. The town is set along the river, and on the opposite bank from the town, there is a back drop of flat topped mountains or mesas. While the city is mostly engaged in agricultural commerce, it is also a center for mountaineering because it is very close to Mesa Verde and Arches National Parks. The once trashed and polluted Colorado River bank and quiet business district have been cleaned up and revitalized with an orientation toward cycling and pedestrian pleasures. At the time I arrived recently, a farmers market was the excitement of the city, with live music and local vendors selling their crafts.
Downtown Grand Junction is gifted by some venerable old brick buildings similar to that of any self-respecting town in the west, but in recent years the town has boasted having the largest collection of street art. My tips include images of many of these.
I learned during my delivery to the Grand Junction Sam's Club, that this store had an excellent selection of canoes and... more travel advice
Until a few years ago, the Colorado River was a dumping ground for old cars and trash. Now, volunteer organizations have... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Grand Junction Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Town layout of the core"
- "Agricultural Town on the Upper Colorado River"
- "The Western Slope"
- "The Western Slope"
- "Grand Junction"
- "mmspooner's new Grand Junction Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Grand Junction
- Hotels in Grand Junction
- Transportation in Grand Junction
- Nightlife in Grand Junction
- Restaurants in Grand Junction
- Shopping in Grand Junction
- Warnings and Dangers in Grand Junction
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Grand Junction
- 9 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (151)
Have you been to Grand Junction?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grand Junction
Photos in Grand JunctionSee All Photos (45)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 228 reviews, 849 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos