"Urbane Mecca of the Rocky Mountains" Top 5 Page for this destination Denver by atufft
Denver Travel Guide: 1,025 reviews and 1,804 photos
For a long time Denver was a city of has been gold miners, ski bums and cowboys, having rail yards, and little more. It lay on the western high prairie, a dead-end before the climb over the Rockies. A place where cheap beer was made. During the 19th century, Cheyenne to the north was actually a bigger city than Denver, being a more important rail stop between the east and California. Denver's small cluster of two and three story brick buildings weren't architecturally significant, and for those looking for urban pleasures had to either head 600 miles east over dull prairie to dusty Kansas City, or nearly 1300 miles west, over at least two mountain ranges, and the Great Basin desert to San Francisco. Now, Denver's reputation as the "mile high city" and the gateway to some of America's greatest ski resorts, has evolved into a hip place where high tech and healthy living is king. And, since this newer industry brings in bigger revenue, Denver has wasted no time in building itself up to a point where it now rivals Seattle, Portland, San Diego, and Phoenix for great western living. In my humble view, it still falls short of San Francisco and Los Angeles, being a bit provincial in some elements of urban life.
The 16th Avenue Mall is the starting point for visitors, providing a wonderful pedestrian walk along what was once a major boulevard crammed with cars. A free shuttle transit along this 1.25 mile route eases the burden of walking and shopping. At one end is the Civic Center, Capitol Mall area, while the other end is the Union Train Station, now restored for RTD transit. So, besides the Mall Ride bus, there is also easy access to the RTD Light Rail system of 5 lines that service some 37 stations within the Denver metropolitan area. Moreover, since Denver is a sports oriented city, its network of bicycle trails and lanes is among the best in the nation. Downtown Denver has some 50 stations providing 500 bicycles for hourly rent, a service provided through the B-cycle vending system. This appears to be a unique success for Denver, although Portland and Sacramento are also western urban leaders in this green technology movement.
During my most recent adventure in Denver, I managed to get into the neighborhoods of Denver. The most important that I found is the South Pearl Street neighborhood, a mixed commercial and single family residential neighborhood where bicycle, coffee, and boutique shops provide a human scale atmosphere.
Catholic religion came late to Denver, beginning with the first mass 1860. Nevertheless, northern Colorado is now home... more travel advice
Within the Capitol Hill neighborhood, which is filled with old historic residences, is the Molly Brown House. This... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Denver Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Queen City of the Plains"
- "Denver: The Mile High City"
- "A Path to the West Over one Big Mountain Range"
- "Denver, Colorado --- The Mile High City"
- "Urbane Mecca of the Rocky Mountains"
- "Denver, Colorado"
- "Denver the beautiful (or at least friendly)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Denver
- Hotels in Denver
- Transportation in Denver
- Nightlife in Denver
- Restaurants in Denver
- Shopping in Denver
- Warnings and Dangers in Denver
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Denver
- 16 Reviews
- 63 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (151)
Have you been to Denver?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Denver
Photos in DenverSee All Photos (63)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 228 reviews, 849 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos