Yosemite National Park Warnings Or Dangers Tips by atufft Top 5 Page for this destination
Yosemite National Park Warnings and Dangers: 97 reviews and 89 photos
Bear Climbing a Tree
Facing down a bear in Yosemite Valley is very unlikely as the rangers are quick to capture and transfer the animals elsewhere. Bears are easily the most dangerous animals in California, even more so than the powerful cougar. When in the alpine regions of Yosemite, it's important to understand that bears are fully capable of opening a car door to remove what food may be inside. At the Happy Isles Nature Center there is a bent up car window frame to show the ease with which a bear can enter a car. When I was a young hiker, I once lost all my dried rice to a bear during the night. I had tried to hide the food in a place I thought the bear would not find it, but found later that this place was in fact quite easy for the bear. I have also lost backpacks that were strung up in trees to bear that managed to cut the cord holding them there. I would perhaps be more worried about a confrontation with a cougar; however, as the California brown bears normally don't attack humans. Several times, I and others have chased away bears in the middle of the night with flash lights and the banging of pans. So while losing ones sustaining food supply is not fun, I confess that watching a bear run is much more fun than chasing a cat or dog. During the past decade or so, bear proof containers have been designed, and these are now required for all hiking overnight into Yosemite's alpine regions. Fortunately, the ranger stations provide use of these free, with a modest deposit to ensure their return. Use the bear container not only for food, but for anything that could possibly smell like food. Naturally, those who might be tempted to arm themselves to defend against a bear attack are risking jail time for killing a Yosemite bear. See the link for more details on food storage to avoid problems with bears.
More Reviews (62)
- See All Photographers Stumble Over Each Other
- See All Sentinel Rock South
- See All Controlled Burning Program
- See All Great Collection of Photographic Prints
- See All Motel 6 for Twice the Price
- See All Residential Housing in Yosemite Valley
- Rock Climbing Opportunities
- See All Lodge Dining Under the Falls
- See All Don't Walk Through The Meadows...
- See All Rock Slides on Hwy 140, El Portal...
- Potable water filter and mosquito...
Been to Yosemite National Park?Share your travels with the world!
atufft's Related Pages
Yosemite National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Incomparable Valley (and Park)"
- "Yosemite in a day"
- "On Becoming Part of the Food Chain: Yosemite"
- "Yosemite National Park"
- "Yosemite is Perhaps the Prettiest Park in the USA"
- "The Glacial Beauty of Yosemite National Park"
- "As Good As It Gets"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Yosemite National Park
- Hotels in Yosemite National Park
- Transportation in Yosemite National Park
- Nightlife in Yosemite National Park
- Restaurants in Yosemite National Park
- Shopping in Yosemite National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Yosemite National Park
- See All...
Explore the World
- Eindhoven Hotels
- Aberdeen Hotels
- Valldal Hotels
- Sellwood Hotels
- Novosibirskaya Oblast'
- Provincia de La Vega
- Land Critters
- Varadero Warnings and Dangers
- Delaware Warnings and Dangers
- Drinking/ Driving/ Police
- Cavtat Warnings and Dangers
- Harwich Warnings and Dangers
- Milos Island Warnings and Dangers
- Weston-Super-Mare Warnings and Dangers
- Murcia Warnings and Dangers
- Wroclaw Warnings and Dangers
- Coffee Shops
Badges & Stats in Yosemite National Park
- 63 Reviews
- 229 Photos
- 35 Forum posts
- 25 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Yosemite National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yosemite National Park
- Posted in Travel San Jose Forum "Re: what to wear in december at a..."
- Commented on one of atufft's Yosemite National Park tips
- Wrote a Review Photographers Stumble Over Each Other in Yosemite National Park Tourist Traps
- Uploaded a Photo to "Photographers Stumble Over Each Other"
- Uploaded a Video to Yosemite National Park
- updated a Yosemite National Park Travel Page "Yosemite is Perhaps the Prettiest Park in the USA"
Photos in Yosemite National ParkSee All Photos (229)
Videos in Yosemite National ParkSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 208 reviews, 788 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (78)
Latest Yosemite National Park hotel reviews
- Yosemite Lodge At The Falls
- 1301 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Wawona Hotel
- 643 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Housekeeping Camp
- 181 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Curry Village
- 954 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- The Ahwahnee
- 915 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- E. C. Yosemite Motel
- 60 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Yosemite Bug Rustic Mountain Resort
- 258 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- North Pines Campground
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 23, 2013
- The Redwoods In Yosemite
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
- Hodgdon Meadow Campground
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 12, 2013
- Yosemite Foresta Hilltop Cabins
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 11, 2013
- White Wolf Lodge
- 35 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 9, 2013
- Tuolumne Meadows Campground
- 66 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 18, 2013
- White Wolf Campground
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 8, 2013
- Lower Pines Campground
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 11, 2013
- Glacier Point- 46 Reviews, 89 Photos
- Mariposa Grove- 50 Reviews, 98 Photos
- Bridal Veil Falls- 38 Reviews, 80 Photos
- El Capitan- 42 Reviews, 68 Photos
- Falls- 55 Reviews, 120 Photos
- Tioga Road- 27 Reviews, 38 Photos
- Wildlife- 21 Reviews, 48 Photos
- Half Dome- 46 Reviews, 74 Photos
- Valley- 58 Reviews, 110 Photos
- Vernal Falls- 36 Reviews, 64 Photos