"Gold Mining Town of California's Mother Lode" Sutter Creek by atufft
Sutter Creek Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 28 photos
John Sutter was the Swiss-born owner of a land grant along the American River, in what is now downtown Sacramento, whose employee, John Marshall, discovered gold in 1848. Sutter Creek is a fork of the Mokelumne River, and was named for Sutter after a scouting party had found an excellent stand of sugar pines along a ridge there. When gold was discovered, Sutter at first sent Indian labor to pan for gold, but soon the gravelly soils of Sutter Creek and all other streams of the area were extensively placer mined, and then later, the quartz ledges of the hillsides continued to be mined until an executive order of 1942 stopped all mining activity in California's gold country. Thus, the town of Sutter Creek, which began as a mining camp, and became incorporated in 1854, has a long and successful history as a California gold mining town, one that actually still lives today by independent prospectors. However, after WWII, residents of the town anticipated tourism in celebrating the centennial in 1949, recognizing that restoration of the old commercial buildings and homes in Sutter Creek could return the gold to the Mother Lode.
Recently, from Jamestown through Sutter Creek, and the rest of Amador County to Placerville, Highway 49 has been completely regraded and expanded into a route that would be unfamiliar to gold miners a century ago. New businesses and housing developments are rapidly filling in along this route, but visitors can watch for the old route 49 that dips down into the old town that is settled along the creek. The buildings in the old town date from the early 1850's, but a fire in 1858 damaged many, and restoration mainly concerned those building and those built to as late as the 1930's. Most of the main street buildings date from the 1860's. Sutter Creek, and Nearby Jackson, are on the junction of Highway 88, that is a scenic all-weather route over the Sierra Nevada Mountains (see transportation tip). Other 49er pages of interest to VT viewers toward the south would certainly include my pages for Sonora and VT member jstark's excellent introduction to her hometown of Mariposa.
The best time to visit is in Spring, when the California Poppy is in bloom, or in Fall, when the tree leaves have turned golden. But, at this mid-level elevation within the foothills of the Sierra Mountains, the weather is quite tolerable in summer, and only a light patina of snow is likely to cover the ground in winter.
- Pros:Great Place for a Romantic Weekend Get-A-Way
- Cons:Development Along New Hwy 49 Is Unfortunate
- In a nutshell:Sutter Creek is A Good Stop Along the 49er Gold Trail
Smack in the middle of Main Street in Sutter Creek is the The American Exchange Hotel, which claims to be one of the... more travel advice
In front of the Bellotti's American Exchange Hotel, a horse pulled wagon that takes tours of town when weather permits.... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Sutter Creek Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gold Mining Town of California's Mother Lode"
- "Sutter Creek - Gold-Rush City"
- "A lively goldrush town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sutter Creek
- Hotels in Sutter Creek
- Transportation in Sutter Creek
- Restaurants in Sutter Creek
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sutter Creek
- 5 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (150)
Have you been to Sutter Creek?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sutter Creek
- Posted in Travel India Forum "Re: Itinerary suggestions for 4..."
- Commented on one of WulfstanTraveller's Sutter Creek travel pages
- updated a Sutter Creek Travel Page "Gold Mining Town of California's Mother Lode"
- Wrote a Review An Easy Lunch/Dinner or Bar in Sutter Creek in Sutter Creek Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "An Easy Lunch/Dinner or Bar in Sutter Creek"
Photos in Sutter CreekSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 228 reviews, 849 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos