Stockton Tourist Trap Tips by atufft Top 5 Page for this destination
Stockton Tourist Traps: 1 reviews and 0 photos
Many visitors take the March Lane exit and see the string of corporate restaurants and the Radisson, and they think this is Stockton--another bedroom suburban community. Far from it. Stockton is a gritty old industry city steeped in California history. The tractor was invented here, but now most of the food processing plants have moved south. What's happening is the redevelopment of downtown, especially along the waterfront, and the expansion of a variety of ethnic communities in satellite development areas. Some of these areas are some distance from each other while the downtown and uptown areas are all pretty continguous. Wander around if you want to see the real Stockton at its best. While Stockton can be dangerous place (it has a high per capita murder rate and car theft rate), most of the danger is within certain neighborhoods after dark. There are no daylight danger neighborhoods that I know of, unless you are the one asking for trouble.
Unique Suggestions: The Radisson may be the logical choice for some who need access to the businesses in this area, but don't be tempted to stick with Applebees, Outback, and the other brand name restaurants. Be a little adventuresome and examine my tips for the ethnic and other restaurants in town. They aren't that far away, especially if you have a rental car.
Fun Alternatives: Walk east from Radisson to the Venician Bridges shopping center. There are a number of interesting small restaurants there Also, at Pershing and March, in the John's Pizza shopping center, tucked around the corner are very two very good Asian restaurants--a Cambodian and Japanese. But, the best are elsewhere in the city. If you have a rental car, the area south of hwy 4, the crosstown freeway, is the best area to browse for authentic Mexican restaurants. Otherwise, a large number of ethnic restaurants from many nations are scattered throughout the city. For those with more old fashioned American tastes, Stockton has a number of great traditonal steak and potatoes type restaurants too, a tradition that has its basis in the fact that Stockton is also a big trucking and rail town. So, skip the corporate fat and salts, and head for authentic food.
More Reviews (43)
- See All Stockton's Greek Festival
- See All Upscale Lounge Bar and Restaurant
- See All Greyhound Bus
- See All Free Summer Concert in the Park
- See All There are Few "Tree Huggers" Here in...
atufft's Related Pages
Stockton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Stockton--true heart of the San Joaquin Delta"
- "Stockton, CA"
- "Stockton - Historic Inland River Port"
- "California bread basket"
- "Poor Stockton"
- "Pietro_4wd's new Stockton Page"
- "tkfisher13's new Stockton Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stockton
- Hotels in Stockton
- Transportation in Stockton
- Nightlife in Stockton
- Restaurants in Stockton
- Warnings and Dangers in Stockton
- See All...
Explore the World
- Mawanella Hotels
- Albuquerque Hotels
- Laguna Beach Hotels
- Greater Accra Region
- Bukit Mertajam
- Al Tahoe Hotels
Badges & Stats in Stockton
- 44 Reviews
- 93 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 30 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Stockton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stockton
- Posted in Travel San Jose Forum "Re: what to wear in december at a..."
- Wrote a Review Stockton's Greek Festival in Stockton Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Stockton's Greek Festival"
- Commented on one of atufft's Stockton tips
- updated a Stockton Travel Page "Stockton--true heart of the San Joaquin Delta"
Photos in StocktonSee All Photos (93)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 208 reviews, 788 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (78)
Latest Stockton hotel reviews
- Ramada Plaza Stockton
- 141 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Hilton Stockton
- 184 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 15, 2013
- Knights Inn Stockton North
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 1, 2013
- La Quinta Stockton
- 154 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 16, 2013
- Howard Johnson Express Stockton
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 29, 2013