"Stockton--true heart of the San Joaquin Delta" Top 5 Page for this destination Stockton by atufft
Stockton Travel Guide: 65 reviews and 115 photos
I have a home on the Smith Canal waterfront. This is the only place in the San Francisco Bay Area where a middle class person can own a house with a dock on deep water, and so we live in something of a quiet backwater. Stockton--an agricultural-industrial city and place where the tractor was invented--has a fine old gas lamp downtown that is under redevelopment minutes from our home. Our network of waterways, once areas for development landfill, are getting cleaned up. Trying to escape a century or more of toxic waterways and blighted waterfront, Stockton is beginning to recognize its potential as a Venice of the Delta region. Generally, a huge distributional hub, the city itself is short on tourist attractions. But, it is a city that is great to live in because housing prices are reasonable, traffic hassles few, and because its centrally located to all parts of California. Minutes from Delta water ski action, Stockton is 45 minutes from the capital at Sacramento, 1-1/2 hours from San Francisco and Bay Area, just 3 hrs from Yosemite and ski country, and a quick 6 hours from LA.
The Smith Canal is a narrow waterway that extends off the San Joaquin River near the Port of Stockton. This area is subject to twice daily tidal action, so despite the pollution, the waterway does tend to flush itself out. Our property has a large tree where hawks nest every year. Crowds of New York residents flock to observe one or two hawks in central park while we benefit from an urban pair that remind us by their cry that they own the skies. Lately, it seems that the West Nile Virus has killed off the crows that used to harrass the hawks, sometimes spoiling their mating season. For most people the waterway is for recreational navigation. But, Friends of the Smith Canal, a neighborhood alliance, and Delta Keepers, an environmental organization watchdog, have nudged the city and county into taking more responsibility for making the urban waterways a clean habitat for wildlife. Stormdrain pollution from the urban core remains a major problem, as does illegal garbage dumping by some Stockton residents along the levees. We irrigate our property, but would avoid eating the fish or swimming in the water. Even so, wildlife thrive along the waterway, protected by California's Fish & Game, and waterways are not unlike those found within any metropolitan region of the world.
Most California residents drive past Stockton on I-5 on their way through to Sacramento or LA. Those in San Francisco see the city on the map and consider it part of the hick central valley. But, Stockton was at one time the fourth largest city in the state, after San Francisco, Sacramento, and Oakland. The origins of the city were as a port of departure to the southern gold mines in the motherlode. So, in that sense Stockton was a sister city of sorts for Sacramento, but on the San Joaquin River. Downtown, there is a considerable heritage of fine old Victorian homes and brick highrise buildings that look out upon the water.
- Pros:Venice of the Delta region, Stockton is centrally located with easy access to both N & S Ca.
- Cons:The city is largely a truck stop not a tourist attraction
- In a nutshell:Stockton's history will revive it in urban renewal
The large domed Greek Orthodox Church in Stockton hosts annually in September a huge Greek festival, featuring music,... more travel advice
Today, Stockton is not considered a priority tourist destination, but in the past it was. The earliest period, Stockton... more travel advice
- See All Greyhound Bus
- See All Free Summer Concert in the Park
- See All There are Few "Tree Huggers" Here in...
- See All Cosumnes River Wildlife Preserve
atufft's Related Pages
Stockton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Stockton--true heart of the San Joaquin Delta"
- "Stockton, CA"
- "Stockton - Historic Inland River Port"
- "California bread basket"
- "Poor Stockton"
- "Pietro_4wd's new Stockton Page"
- "tkfisher13's new Stockton Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stockton
- Hotels in Stockton
- Transportation in Stockton
- Nightlife in Stockton
- Restaurants in Stockton
- Warnings and Dangers in Stockton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Stockton
- 44 Reviews
- 93 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (151)
Have you been to Stockton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stockton
- Posted in Travel San Francisco Forum "Re: 6 days from SFO to LA"
- Wrote a Review Stockton's Greek Festival in Stockton Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Stockton's Greek Festival"
- Commented on one of atufft's Stockton tips
- updated a Stockton Travel Page "Stockton--true heart of the San Joaquin Delta"
Photos in StocktonSee All Photos (93)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 228 reviews, 849 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos