San Francisco Nightlife Tips by atufft Top 5 Page for this destination
San Francisco Nightlife: 418 reviews and 458 photos
Yerba Buena Center for the Arts Theater is the venue for San Francisco Performances Dance Series. The 755-seat theater is located at the Center for Arts at Yerba Buena Gardens on Third Street, between Mission and Howard Streets. The center is just a short walk from the Powell or Montgomery BART/Muni stations, and there's a parking garage nearby. The Moscone Convention Center is right across the street. This is an excellent theater showcasing international acts but with an intimate venue. We usually purchase tickets on-line for one of the internationally acclaimed modern dance performances, such as the recent Compania Nacional de Danza, a multi-national troupe of modern dancers based in Spain. Since these shows are often sold-out, those staying in the city should plan for this in advance. Program descriptions, seat selection, and ticket purchase is easy at the website, the link for which is below. I recommend arriving and having the daytime open for other activities, then treat yourself to this at night. There are matinee performances too for some acts, however. San Francisco Performances also has world-class classical, jazz, and ethnic musical acts at the Herbst Theater, among other venues.
Dress Code: Informal is OK, but a lot of people choose to dress up. Don't wear shorts and a T-shirt, that's for sure. I usually wear a brown leather jacket and decent slacks.
Porn Neon at Night
A great time to visit North Beach is at night. The part of town stays alive well into the evening with sidewalk cafe service and night clubs serving up good business even on a rainy winter evening like the one I recently experienced. Restaurants bring out the patio space warmers to keep the outdoors warm, and canopies overhead keep heads dry. City Lights Bookstore stays open late. I like North Beach at night because of the lighting. There's the remaining porn neon billboards at one end, and in the middle the restaurants and bars provide their own atmospheric lighting. Incidentally, just on the border between the North Beach and Chinatown districts is a tiny alleyway named for the famous American author, Jack Kerouac. This passageway used to be called Alder. It's also safe enough to walk through Chinatown after the businesses have closed down for the night, in my opinion.
Dress Code: Dress warm in winter or summer at night in SF. Casual clothes are OK, but a lot of people in the city like to dress up all the time.
Directions: Start walking at the intersection of Columbus, Grant, and Broadway. Try to find parking up the hill somewhere.
Theme: Adult Spot
More Reviews (226)
- See All Hip Mission District Along Valencia...
- See All Crab Season
- See All President Garfield Statue
- See All Dashiell Hammett Place
- See All Central T Subway to Chinatown and North...
- See All Best Russian Bakery in America--Probably
- See All 2013 America's Cup
- See All Gay Pride Parade
- See All Classic San Francisco atop Nob Hill
- See All Don't Forget Your iPhone & iPad
- Completely Unauthentic EXCEPT for the...
- See All Civic Centric San Francisco
atufft's Related Pages
San Francisco Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bagdad by the Bay"
- "San Francisco - My Favorie City - By Default"
- "San Francisco - "It's a free-for-all up there!""
- "SFO ... a declassé love letter to the CITY"
- "San Francisco: Why this heart never leaves"
- "I Left My Heart..."
- "San Francisco is Really Shaking Things Up!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Francisco
- Hotels in San Francisco
- Transportation in San Francisco
- Nightlife in San Francisco
- Restaurants in San Francisco
- Shopping in San Francisco
- Warnings and Dangers in San Francisco
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Francisco
- 228 Reviews
- 852 Photos
- 220 Forum posts
- 40 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (151)
Have you been to San Francisco?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Francisco
- Posted in Travel San Francisco Forum "Re: 6 days from SFO to LA"
- Commented on one of atufft's San Francisco tips
- Wrote a Review Hip Mission District Along Valencia Street in San Francisco Shopping
- Uploaded a Photo to "Hip Mission District Along Valencia Street"
- Uploaded a Video to San Francisco
- updated a San Francisco Travel Page "Bagdad by the Bay"
Photos in San FranciscoSee All Photos (852)
Videos in San FranciscoSee All Videos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 228 reviews, 849 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (83)
- Lombard Street- 134 Reviews, 213 Photos
- Alcatraz- 292 Reviews, 488 Photos
- Golden Gate Bridge- 245 Reviews, 392 Photos
- Fisherman's Wharf- 179 Reviews, 323 Photos
- Chinatown- 179 Reviews, 311 Photos
- Coit Tower- 135 Reviews, 256 Photos
- Golden Gate Park- 105 Reviews, 202 Photos
- Pier 39- 114 Reviews, 205 Photos
- Alamo Square- 66 Reviews, 101 Photos
- Muir Woods- 36 Reviews, 68 Photos
See All San Francisco Things to Do