"Rio Vista center of Delta Fishing and Boating" Rio Vista by atufft
Rio Vista Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 21 photos
Located near the mouth of the Sacramento River, as it empties into the Carquinez Strait, Rio Vista is a small but significant community of boating and fishing enthusiasts. I typically drive through on the way between my folks home in Vacaville and my own in Stockton. I don't really mind when the draw bridge rises to allow ships through. Barges traveling between the Port of Oakland and Sacramento's Port travel past here. The river is deep and wide.
I'm not so crazy about the food, but I'll take in a bar drink and look around at the wonderful collection of animal trophies. I'm not a hunter, and today I wouldn't want anyone to be so enthusiastic as Foster, but this old collection of mostly African and North American mammals is a wonder to behold and see more than once.
West of town several miles, off Hwy 12, the Montezuma Hills region hosts a large collection of the newer large size and slow moving wind generators. Sheep graze below, as the big blades turn. There is little sound relative to those generators found in the Altamont Pass region on the other side of the Carquiz Straits. The Montezuma Hills though are a remote desolate region of rolling hills. The crossroad communities of Birds Landing and Collinsville no longer have anything to over the tourist, except one small bar (Bird Landing). By the way, the occasional tank and piping seen in scattered among the fields in the Rio Vista area are natural gas wells. The reserves are few but significant enough to tap.
- Pros:Foster's Big Horn and easy access to the Delta water
- Cons:It's a windy little town with little to do after dark
- In a nutshell:Fishing competition, Foster's Big Horn, and boating...
There are several places where boats are sheltered by their owners, and it's definitely worthwhile taking the winding... more travel advice
I'm not a big fisherman, but I do know that in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta region, Rio Vista deserves its... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Rio Vista Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rio Vista center of Delta Fishing and Boating"
- "Rio Vista - Delta Town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rio Vista
- Transportation in Rio Vista
- Restaurants in Rio Vista
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rio Vista
- 6 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (82)
Have you been to Rio Vista?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rio Vista
Photos in Rio VistaSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 215 reviews, 818 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos