Pebble Beach Tourist Trap Tips by atufft Top 5 Page for this destination
Pebble Beach Tourist Traps: 7 reviews and 15 photos
Romantic Shot of Lone Cyprus
Along the 17 mile drive there are numerous turn outs, the parking for many of which are quite busy, but I would reckon that the busiest is the Lone Cyprus. Until a few years ago, it was possible to walk out to the tree itself, but erosion and defacement of the tree resulted in a fencing off of the rocky area where the tree stands. Nevertheless, several spots along the fencing provide excellent portraits of tree and tourist, and so on a busy day tourists will elbow each other as they search for the uncluttered look of solitude along the coast in their camera viewfinder. Incidentally, what make the crooked cyprus trees so valuable in terms of scenic beauty can be summed in a combination of age, soil and weather conditions. Like the redwood, the cyprus tree has no life span and can live more or less indefinitely, so many of the trees seen here are quite old and distinctive in shape. The rocky soil and strong coastal winds contribute to a landscape of trees which must fight to survive.
Unique Suggestions: Be considerate of others and be efficient in your photography. Generally the manners of tourists are quite good, but those who linger at the famous spot will attract the anger of others. It's a famous tree that is no longer lonely, except maybe at night.
Fun Alternatives: Well, there's no substitute for this tree and your friend in a photo, anymore than the Eiffel tower or Golden Gate Bridge images can be avoided, but there are numerous other places to go along the 17 mile drive that are less crowded.
More Reviews (7)
- See All Walk the Dog on the Beach
- Stay off the rocks and out of the water!
- Pebble Beach Golf Courses
atufft's Related Pages
Pebble Beach Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Golfer's Paradise or Lonely Cypress?"
- "Pebble Beach is my favorite coastline in the world"
- "Pebble Beach: Nice views and expensive meals"
- "PEBBLE BEACH GOLFERS PARADISE"
- "PEBBLE BEACH - & The 17-Mile Drive!"
- "Views within the 17 Mile Drive at Pebble Beach"
- "cycling through a famous golf course."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pebble Beach
- Hotels in Pebble Beach
- Transportation in Pebble Beach
- Nightlife in Pebble Beach
- Restaurants in Pebble Beach
- Shopping in Pebble Beach
- Warnings and Dangers in Pebble Beach
- See All...
Explore the World
- Valencia Hotels
- Will Rogers Beach State Park Hotels
- Pea Island Hotels
- Bocas del Toro
- Cadnam Hotels
Badges & Stats in Pebble Beach
- 8 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Pebble Beach?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pebble Beach
Photos in Pebble BeachSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 208 reviews, 788 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos