"Wonderful Southern California Wine Region" Top 5 Page for this destination Paso Robles by atufft
Paso Robles Travel Guide: 125 reviews and 428 photos
Actually, in my opinion the best wine of the Paso Robles region isn't Pinot Noir, but Zinfandel. Being well inland, the weather of the hilly Paso Robles region is a little on the warm side. So, it provides an excellent climate for producing cabernet sauvignon, zinfandel, and various Italian varietals, as well as the white grape, Sauvignon Blanc. The better Pinot Noirs are actually grown further south in the San Luis Obispo area where sea breezes and fog more often encroach into these inland valleys. But, as a Californian, I'm a big Zinfandel fan anyway. This wine is very versatile and can be produced into a wide variety of styles. I'm not to interested in the white Zinfandel wine, so popular with novice wine drinkers, but prefer the range of light red to deep purple red wines the Zinfandel grape can make. The Movie "Sideways" does portray the architecture and style of the wine region here, which has a long history but has always been in the shadow of the northern wine regions of Napa, Sonoma, Mendocino, and even the Mother Lode region. However, Paso Robles has so many wineries that a visit here must be well researched.
The Santa Lucia mountains separate Paso Robles from the Pacific coast, but within this mountain region is a large ski boat and fishing reservoir, as well as miles of scenic driving along the historic De Anza route, most of which is also known as the El Camino Real. Eventually, one can drive as far as Jolon, which is where California's 3rd Mission, San Antonion de Padua remains located in an Oak Valley to itself, much as it did 300 years ago. Here too, is Hearst's Hacienda, which is a two day ride by horseback from his more famous Castle at San Simeon.
- Pros:Paso Robles Wine Country is Good Diversion from Hwy 101 Freeway
- Cons:Weather can be Hot in Summer, Best Visited in Spring or Fall
- In a nutshell:Paso Robles Wine Region Ranks High Among California's Many Wine Regions
At the junction of highways 46 and 41, about twenty-five miles east of Paso Robles, there is a road sign tribute to... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Paso Robles Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "On and Off the Road in Paso Robles"
- "Wine Country 3 1/2 Hours from Los Angeles!"
- "I already want to go back!!!!"
- "Wonderful Southern California Wine Region"
- "Paso Robles - a wine stop"
- "GOOD OL" BURGERS"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Paso Robles
- Hotels in Paso Robles
- Transportation in Paso Robles
- Nightlife in Paso Robles
- Restaurants in Paso Robles
- Shopping in Paso Robles
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Paso Robles
- 3 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (151)
Have you been to Paso Robles?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Paso Robles
- Posted in Travel San Francisco Forum "Re: 6 days from SFO to LA"
- Uploaded a Photo to "James Dean Memorial Junction"
- Commented on one of TRimer's Paso Robles travel pages
- Wrote a Review James Dean Memorial Junction in Paso Robles Things to Do
- created a Paso Robles Travel Page "Wonderful Southern California Wine Region"
Photos in Paso RoblesSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 228 reviews, 849 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos