"Oakville: Robert Mondavi and Oakville Grocery" Oakville by atufft
Oakville Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 15 photos
Oakville is a small town on Highway 29 about midway between Napa and St. Helena. The town is basically a crossroads sorts. Hwy 29 at this point is a ribbon highway with the railroad tracks running parallel to it just a few yards away. Facing north, the Oakville Grade on the left leads up into the Mayacamas mountains where Redwood and Madrone trees dominate the steep hills. Eventually, it's possible to get into Sonoma County this way. Slightly further along Hwy 29, on the right, the Oakville Crossroads will lead almost due east in a straight line to the Silverado Trail. There are a few Bed & Breakfast Hotels in the area, but really not a lot to do. Napa, St. Helena, and Calistoga are the better places to go for atmosphere, as Oakville is part of the benchland region of the Napa Valley, almost entirely devoted to vineyards and wineries.
Recently sold to a New York beverage distributer, Constellation Wines, Robert Mondavi nevertheless remains an icon the minds of many who know the Napa Valley. The Modavi Brothers had a fall-out over the manner in which the Charles Krug winery, which they had inherited from their father, should be managed. Robert Mondavi, the younger more adventurous brother choose to found his own winery devoted to modern methods and artful style. Thus, the mission revival architecture of Robert Mondavi Winery, set well back off the main highway, reflects a desire to maintain tradition with a modern flare. Robert Mondavi has contributed much to the valley and the wine industry in general as a patron of the culinary arts and arts in general. For him, wine is the bacchus of life. See the tip on Robert Mondavi for more details about tasting and tours.
The Oakville Grocery was once a dry goods store in Oakville, but in the 1980's became the center for culinary specialties, especially those related to wine. See the tip on this store, as it is a favorite stop along the wine country trail. There are however, a large number of other wineries in the area that are also worth visiting, and these also detailed in my pages here. The broad expanse of vineyard landscape here contributes to the variations of California classic winery buildings, such as Mondavi, Johnson-Turnbull, Far Niete, Robert Pepi, Groth, and Silver Oak, to name a few. I will update these pages frequently, as I have lived and worked in this valley for many years and know these wines well.
- Pros:Great Stop for Culinary Purchases at the Oakville Grocery
- Cons:Not much else to do in town
- In a nutshell:Oakville is a tiny crossroads that is nevertheless a giant stop in Napa Valley
Far Niete was rather famous for producing a very rich malolactic fermented style Chardonnay that was bottled in a very... more travel advice
Up the Oakville Grade is a winery that was originally a cooperative between Mondavi and the French wine company of the... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Oakville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oakville: Robert Mondavi and Oakville Grocery"
- "Wine and Duck Pizza"
- "Whine, Wine , Wine....Ah...got it right"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Oakville
- 6 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Oakville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oakville
Photos in OakvilleSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 208 reviews, 788 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos