"Moss Landing: Marine Research and Fishmarket" Moss Landing by atufft
Moss Landing Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 77 photos
Moss Landing isn't a great place to stay overnight, but it's one of our must stop places on the way to either Monterey or Santa Cruz from our home in Stockton. The twin stacks of the power plant aren't exactly a lovely landmark, but it does remind us that a good fish meal is soon to come.
Besides the fish markets, which are described in the tips pages, it's noteworthy that Moss Landing is the harbor from which many, if not most, of the marine research vessels in the area depart and return. This isn't for tourists, but the facilities remind those passing by that science can be good for understanding the complex nature below the surface of the Monterey Bay. The Marine Sanctuary offers much for marine biologists to study as this is one of the largest marine ecosystems in the world. Tourists can appreciate this national marine park via the aquarium at Monterey, or via the beaches of Santa Cruz, Aptos, and Pebble Beach, places for which I have more VT pages. Besides the restaurant and fish market, there are a couple of antique dealers in town, but I've never browsed their wares.
The harbor facilities at Monterey, Santa Cruz, and elsewhere are both expensive and not particularly safe water for a vessel. The docks at Moss Landing are used by both fisherman and recreational boaters alike, and so if you are traveling from abroad, or just up and down the coast, consider docking here. Moss Landing has quick access to Hwy 1, but I have no idea if rental cars are available. Moss Landing is a very small place.
- Pros:Great Fish Restaurants and Markets
- Cons:Limited if Any Places to Stay the Night
- In a nutshell:Moss Landing is a must stop between Santa Cruz and Monterey...
Moss Landing has several antique shops that clearly specialize in marine junk, judged by the stuff standing outside some... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Moss Landing Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Moss Landing"
- "Moss Landing: Marine Research and Fishmarket"
- "Moss Landing"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Moss Landing
- Transportation in Moss Landing
- Restaurants in Moss Landing
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Moss Landing
- 3 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (83)
Have you been to Moss Landing?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Moss Landing
Photos in Moss LandingSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 215 reviews, 818 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos