"Los Banos is in the virtual center of California" Los Banos by atufft
Los Banos Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 29 photos
A common misconception that I had was that Los Banos (an Anglicized version of the Spanish name meaing "the baths") received its name from some kind of hot springs which had attracted the first visitors to the area. In fact, the seasonal wetlands of the west central San Joaquin Valley are a refuge for all sorts of wildlife, something of a surprise as generally speaking this part of the state tends to dry up for the summer months. Cattle barons ran their herds through the area until recently. Now, a good portion of the region east of Los Banos has been dedicated as a wildlife refuge and native grassland preserve. To the west is the San Luis reservoir recreation area and the Pacheco Pass which leads to California's coastal valleys. Summer heat in Los Banos is oppressive, and today, there's not a lot to do, except check out the authentic Merced county fair or pass through and dine on the locally authentic Mexican style food. The city is expanding fast due to bedroom communities that can feed into the Silicon Valley--just an hour away. At one end of Main street, at the edge of the old downtown is a plaza and bronze statue devoted to the fatherly cattle baron, Henry Miller, who estabished the city as the agricultural powerhouse it remains today.
Most people driving through town will see boulevards of familiar corporate logos--Walmart, Home Depot, McDonalds, Taco Bell, etc. But, in the old town center, easy angle parking exists for a number of locally owned businesses (see restaurant tips). Unfortunately, the progress from Henry Miller's mid-19th century period through to the 1950's wasn't much. Most of the "old downtown" isn't really very old nor quaint in architectural style relative to Merced the larger city to the east that is the County seat. However, the Merced County Fair has its home in Los Banos, and I would expect that the prize winning cattle and agricultural ribbon winners are more authentic hometown than most urbanized Bay Area fairs.
- Pros:Good stop for Mexican food if passing through the area
- Cons:Not much to do, other than possibly an authentic fairgrounds
- In a nutshell:If you are bored of just flying down I-5 or Hwy 99, drive on through
atufft's Related Pages
Los Banos Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Los Banos -- The Bathrooms?"
- "Los Banos is in the virtual center of California"
- "Los Banos"
- "Los Banos"
- ""The Baths""
- "Los Banos Creek Reservoir"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Los Banos
- Hotels in Los Banos
- Transportation in Los Banos
- Restaurants in Los Banos
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Los Banos
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Los Banos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Los Banos
- Posted in Travel San Jose Forum "Re: what to wear in december at a..."
- Commented on one of Ewingjr98's Los Banos travel pages
- updated a Los Banos Travel Page "Los Banos is in the virtual center of California"
- Wrote a Review Good authentic Mexican food and more in Los Banos Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Good authentic Mexican food and more"
Photos in Los BanosSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 208 reviews, 788 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (78)
Latest Los Banos hotel reviews
- Days Inn Los Banos
- 30 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013