"Historic Locke and Walnut Grove" Locke by atufft
Locke Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 25 photos
Only recently were the 10 aged Chinese still living there able to purchase their homes. Locke was developed by the Chinese community on the land of a farmer in 1910 after their neighborhood in nearby Walnut Grove burned to the ground. The Chinese originally labored on the levees, but by 1910 the Chinese worked a field hands. The town is mostly redwood buildings crowded together with three narrow streets. At one time, the city had a population of nearly 1000, and the city had all the services and entertainment of any town, but now only 90 people, of whom only 10 are Chinese, live in this seemingly run down town.
are not for the delta water control system between the town and Walnut Grove. Rather, the name comes from the landowner who made the deal with the Chinese community in 1910. It's not a ghost town, nor a tourist attraction, so it's a very pleasant place to go by sport car, motorcycle, or bicycle for a look around on a sunny day. Nearby Walnut Grove also has a historic street worth strolling. Both towns have antique shops, B&Bs or vacation rentals, and restaurants. Restoration of the unique architecture in Locke is likely because the whole town is listed as a registered historic site. There are volunteer and membership organizations and a museum devoted to preserving the Chinese history for the town. Walnut Grove also has historic sites worth visiting, and so many of the Delta communities.
Since the town is jammed behind a levee, entrances on one side are over a gangway to the second floor of the building. In places between buildings, redwood stairs lead down to the main street. At the street level the two story buildings have decorated store fronts, and there's a wooden sidewalk.
- Pros:Locke is a great day trip from Stockton, Sacramento, or North Bay Cities
- Cons:The businesses are only sporatically open in winter
- In a nutshell:Locke is a necessary journey for those in the Delta Region
atufft's Related Pages
Locke Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Locke: Only US Town Built By and For Chinese Peopl"
- "Historic Locke and Walnut Grove"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Locke
- 1 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Locke?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Locke
Photos in LockeSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 208 reviews, 788 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos