"America's Agricultural Capitol" Top 5 Page for this destination Fresno by atufft
Fresno Travel Guide: 79 reviews and 186 photos
Few Americans realize the power and influence that Fresno has within their daily dietary world. While Salinas, California reigns supreme for lettuce, broccoli, cabbage, and other such green vegetables, Fresno County, of which the city of Fresno is the seat, rules #1 in the nation for virtually all the other products in the grocery--virtually anything not produced in Salinas--some 250 crops and meat products. Poultry, beef, and dairy production are larger in production here than most people realize. Grapes, tomatoes, and cotton are also billion dollar exports from the area. Practically one of this are family farms but is huge corporate agriculture. The city of Fresno is the center of a huge meat packing, fruit and vegetable canning industry, but also is a leader in agricultural chemicals and farm equipment. The origins of this power is the wealth of water found in the San Joaquin and other rivers of the Sierra Nevada Mountains, as it is used to irrigate the incredibly flat and fertile soils of California's Great Central Valley. The name Fresno comes from the ash trees that early Spanish explorers found in the area. The current size and influence of the city began with establishment of a Central Pacific railroad station in 1872.
The agricultural setting of Fresno has produced a significant number of atheletes, novelists, actors, and musicians. The city is a cornucopia of ethnic immigrants. Today, Mexican-American influences are obvious everywhere, but there are also significant Armenian, Southeast Asian, Filippino, and Portuguese influences.
Chukchansi Park is home the the Pacific Coast Fresno Grizzlies baseball and Fresno Fuego minor league soccer teams. The... more travel advice
Also on the Fulton Mall is the dramatic Pacific Southwest Building (1923) designed by Fresno architect R.F. Felchlin in... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Fresno Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "America's Agricultural Capitol"
- "Check out what students at Fresno State did"
- "Georgee's new Fresno Page"
- "What's to do in Fresno???"
- "Ovar, Portugal"
- "Fresno - Not Yosemite"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fresno
- Hotels in Fresno
- Transportation in Fresno
- Nightlife in Fresno
- Restaurants in Fresno
- Shopping in Fresno
- Warnings and Dangers in Fresno
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fresno
- 6 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (82)
Have you been to Fresno?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fresno
Photos in FresnoSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 215 reviews, 818 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos