"Busiest Trucker Town on the West Coast" Fontana by atufft
Fontana Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 30 photos
Fontana is one of many suburb cities on I-10, just east of LA and inside the San Bernadino County line. This is not the sort of city that a tourist seeks after, but it does have a lot of visitors. The terminals and training facilities for nearly all of the nation's largest truck companies are located here, as well as the sales and repair facilities for the major truck manufacturers. Swift, Schneider, JB Hunt, KLLM, and many, many more large, midsized, small, and owner operator companies are located in Fontana. Volvo, Peterbuilt, Freightliner, and Mack truck, new and used sales, and repair facilities have a heavy supporting presence in Fontana, as does Union Pacific Railroad and a whole host of distributional facilities. No doubt Fontana plays a large role in transporting to the nation goods manufactured in China and shipped to the Long Beach seaport. LA is also one of the largest manufacturing centers in the United States, and a huge home of consumers, so Fontana is also in a position to truck goods between LA and the entire United States.
After teaching since the mid 1980's, I finally decided that I no longer liked being a part of the Community College system. I've enjoyed teaching but the working conditions aren't very good for an adjunct instructor at these institutions. In the often quoted words of the Invisible Adjunct* blogger capture the sentiment fairly well: "Where 2/3 of the workers are deemed incompetent, what does that say about the institution that employs them?" So, I decided to do something radically different to make a buck and keep my household going. Something compatible with my insane need to travel, but still relatively close to home, and most of all something that didn't require a lot of extra training. So, I decided to become a truck driver. After 6 weeks of basic training with a truck school, I got hired with KLLM, a midsized trucking company that routes tractors with refrigerator trailers throughout the entire lower 48 US states and southern Canada. They sent me to Fontana by Greyhound bus, and so I spent three days in orientation at the company's west coast terminal.
- Pros:Reliably Warm Climate and Great Truck Sales Dealers
- Cons:The Diesel Fumes and Fast Food Will Make You Sick
- In a nutshell:Truck Drivers and Big Rig Enthusiasts Will Be Amazed By This Place
Fontana has the largest collection of tractor dealerships I've ever seen. Peterbuilt, Volvo, Mack, and Freightliner, and... more travel advice
From 1928 to 1965, Fontana had the first and only US Agriculture Department laboratory for the care and breeding of... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Fontana Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Busiest Trucker Town on the West Coast"
- "KikBkK8's new Fontana page"
- "Basaic Fontana Page"
- "Welcome to Fontana"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fontana
- Hotels in Fontana
- Transportation in Fontana
- Restaurants in Fontana
- Shopping in Fontana
- Warnings and Dangers in Fontana
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fontana
- 9 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (83)
Have you been to Fontana?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fontana
Photos in FontanaSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 215 reviews, 818 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos