"I-5 Gas and Food Stop" Coalinga by atufft
Coalinga Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 2 photos
I had never consider the origin of the name. Wikipedia reports that the origin of the name Coalinga is of some dispute. The most likely explanation comes with it's founding as a coal station. Prior to the use of diesel locomotives, California had a sequence of coaling stations to service the railroads running through the central valley. Thus, the city was designated as "Coal Station A", which was abbreviated to Coaling A, and then subsequently to Coalinga. The retention of the name as that of the city is somewhat mysterious though since Coalinga (pronounced coa-ling-ga, the first 'g' soft, the second hard), which could pass as Nahuatl for "place of snakes", but is more likely related to the coal industry that started the city in the first place.
for it's 1983 6.4 magnitude earthquake. Nobody was killed, but 47 were injured, and some 800 homes and other buildings were destroyed. $31 million damage came to an area not previously known for earthquakes.
The town is also know for its new mental health hospital--California's first in 50 years. 1,500 beds are devoted to the treatment of sexual offenders. But, the hospital has been delayed in opening due to a difficulty in filling out the ranks of its staff, due probably to the remote location and climate of the Coalinga. The town also has recently built the 5,000 inmate Pleasant Valley State Prison, which has a large drug rehabilitation program.
truckstop. There's a large interchange that has gas stations, restaurants, and motels for the I-5 travelers. The distance between Coalinga and the gas stops either north or south on I-5 is perhaps 25 miles or more.
- Pros:Good full service pit stop on I-5 route in California
- Cons:Not much else to do in town
- In a nutshell:Coalinga is a Central Valley Town, and not much more...
atufft's Related Pages
Coalinga Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Coalinga
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (83)
Have you been to Coalinga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Coalinga
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 215 reviews, 818 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos