"Clinton Eastwood's Hamlet is Worth the Visit" Carmel-by-the-Sea by atufft
Carmel-by-the-Sea Travel Guide: 378 reviews and 1,055 photos
The mission is second oldest in Alta California after San Diego and is located along the north side of the open grasslands of the estuary of the Carmel Valley. The town of Carmel grew to the north of the Mission and reaches down to the coast. The downtown is within a long walk or short bicycle ride of the mission. For many years, the mission was neglected but after an earthquake virtually destroyed it in the last century, a complete restoration was undertaken. Regular Catholic Mass services are held in the mission, and there's a gift shop that has a good collection of books on the missions, California Indians, and Rancho Life.
In the 20's through the 40's, Carmel was a artist's get-a-away where beach bungalows were built to maximize landscape views of the sea. Now, these bungalows are virtually all completely rebuilt and expanded, but local codes forbid building higher than a neighbor's view of the coast. These homes are now very pricey, and so their restoration is something of an architects dream. Browse through Sunset magazine to see regular contributions. Much of the lifestyle an ambiance of the area has its roots in the relaxed Mission life.
The Mission was much less productive of fruits and vegetables than, for example, Mission Santa Clara. However, the pine trees and natural vegetation were mixed with ornamentals from around the world. The bouganvia is a popular ornamental in Carmel. Although Carmel has been the haunt of the rich and famous for several generations, Hollywood actor, director, and former mayor Clint Eastwood is perhaps the town's most famous resident.
- Pros:Wonderful landscapes mixed with quaint residential architecture
- Cons:Can be touristy on summer days
- In a nutshell:Window shopping along the quaint downtown is worth a day
The turbulent surf is so strong that a huge sand bar builds up during the dry season, effectively blocking off the... more travel advice
The beach houses in Carmel have been restored, expanded, and otherwise enhanced from the tiny bungalows of the 1930's to... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Carmel-by-the-Sea Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Carmel By the Sea"
- "Quaint "Olde England" feeling in Carmel, CA"
- "Storybook Beach Town"
- "On the California Central Coast"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Carmel-by-the-Sea
- Hotels in Carmel-by-the-Sea
- Transportation in Carmel-by-the-Sea
- Nightlife in Carmel-by-the-Sea
- Restaurants in Carmel-by-the-Sea
- Shopping in Carmel-by-the-Sea
- Warnings and Dangers in Carmel-by-the-Sea
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Carmel-by-the-Sea
- 7 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (83)
Have you been to Carmel-by-the-Sea?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Carmel-by-the-Sea
- Posted in Travel San Francisco Forum "Re: Information on transportation..."
- Commented on one of SONG's Carmel-by-the-Sea travel pages
- Wrote a Review OK for those not really into Carmel in Carmel-by-the-Sea Hotels
- updated a Carmel-by-the-Sea Travel Page "Clinton Eastwood's Hamlet is Worth the Visit"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Carmel River Sand Bar is a Dangerous Beach"
Photos in Carmel-by-the-SeaSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 215 reviews, 818 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos