"Least Visited of the MAJOR Redwood Groves" Calaveras Big Trees State Park by atufft
Calaveras Big Trees State Park Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 16 photos
The Calaveras Grove was heavily logged for a long time, and was rescued almost by accident. At the grove, there's a "dance floor"--the stump of a tree that's nearly the size of a house. There are other novelties of this sort here, such as a drive through tree, which no vehicle is now allowed to even get close to. There's also a slice of a tree showing it's tree rings and important historical events, like the Alexander's invasion of Persia, the Birth of Christ, and toward the very outer rings, the discovery of America by Christopher Columbus. No joke. These trees live a long time, so for loggers to pride themselves on bring them down was a real shame. The nice part about Calaveras Big Trees is that it's easy to get to from the Bay Area, uncrowded, and not at all touristy, like, for example Mariposa Grove is within Yosemite National Park. There's no tram here, no tour guides, just trails that wind through the groves. The trees are individually marked, and there's a substantial number of areas where seedlings are growing to produce a new generation, that hopefully will live another thousand or so years. My father-in-law, visited with us at age 90, and was able to hike around a bit, as shown in this photo. He was pretty impressed and gain some vitality in seeing things alive that are older than him.
atufft's Related Pages
Calaveras Big Trees State Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "do you like redwood trees?"
- "The Big Trees of Calaveras , High Sierra"
- "Least Visited of the MAJOR Redwood Groves"
- "Our visit to the Big Trees of Calaveras County"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Calaveras Big Trees State Park
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Calaveras Big Trees State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Calaveras Big Trees State Park
Photos in Calaveras Big Trees State ParkSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 208 reviews, 788 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos