"Oil, Agriculture, and Buck Owens" Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield by atufft
Bakersfield Travel Guide: 141 reviews and 458 photos
On the drive on Hwy 58 from Needles, we were surprised by the number of wells still active within the city limits. Some go slower than others, and many appear stopped and need of repair to start them again. New highways and houses are being built all around Bakersfield, a central valley city not unlike my hometown of Stockton. Bakersfield has ethnically mixed neighborhoods of self-made houses where live the labor force for food factories, such as Frito Lay, and other low tech industries. The city has plenty of new shopping centers. A major boulevard is named after Buck Owens, the great California country western star, and another is named after Cesar Chavez, the farm labor leader whose work began in this part of the state.
From Barstow and the Mojave Desert, Hwy 58 bypasses Edwards Airforce Base, the desert airstrip where more often than not serves to land NASA's Space Shuttle. From there, the road rises through steep walled canyon where wind generators spin high above.
The rolling hills just east of Bakersfield are being invaded by houses perched high on the hills. In some places, the original landscape of hills studded by occasional oak trees can be found. Some of these hills are home to the California poppy in the spring. Located on the southeast corner of the Central Valley, Bakersfield is not far from the foothills of the southern Sierra mountains. In summer, Bakersfield regularly peaks above 90F duirng the day, while in winter, hard frost mornings can bring a chill to this dry desert like region.
- Pros:Bakersfield retains many of the original quality of a city California town
- Cons:Urban sprawl is here too...
- In a nutshell:Drive through Bakersfield and watch Buck Owens if you can...
During a ride though the central valley on the Greyhound bus, we stopped for about 30 minutes during mid-afternoon. The... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Bakersfield Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bakersfield~The Heart of the Golden State""
- "Rolling out of Bakersfield"
- "Oil, Agriculture, and Buck Owens"
- "Turnaround in Bakersfield"
- "Loonbeam's Bakersfield Page"
- "Kareena's Bakersfield Page"
- "Bakersfield..well, someone has to live here!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bakersfield
- Hotels in Bakersfield
- Transportation in Bakersfield
- Nightlife in Bakersfield
- Restaurants in Bakersfield
- Shopping in Bakersfield
- Warnings and Dangers in Bakersfield
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bakersfield
- 3 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (150)
Have you been to Bakersfield?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bakersfield
- Posted in Travel San Francisco Forum "Re: 6 days from SFO to LA"
- Commented on one of Ewingjr98's Bakersfield travel pages
- Wrote a Review Old Downtown Bakersfield about Downtown in Bakersfield Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Old Downtown Bakersfield"
- updated a Bakersfield Travel Page "Oil, Agriculture, and Buck Owens"
Photos in BakersfieldSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 228 reviews, 849 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos