"One of the Most Valuable Meteor Craters on Earth" Meteor City by atufft
Meteor City Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 16 photos
of an asteroid body within the main asteroid belt arrived at Earth's atmosphere. Weighing several thousand tons, and about 150 feet in diameter, the meteor streaked through the sky at about 26,000 miles per hour. Crashing into the Arizona plain, with the force of 20 million tons of TNT, the meteor's impact issued shock waves in all directions for several miles. Iron and rock within the meteor and earth's surface melted and combined. 175 million tons of limestone and sandstone rock were abruptly dislodged and launched into the surrounding plain for about a mile. Some of these rocks were the size of houses. Meteorite fragments, molten nickel droplets, and dust rose up, producing a cloud that rained dust and then dissipated within a few days. The result was a crater 4,000 feet in diameter and 700 feet deep, with an uplifted edge of sedimentary limestone. This is the meteor crater just off I-40 west of Winslow, Arizona.
This is one of the easiest quick trips off I-40 and shouldn't be missed. The Crater parking lot is only about 6 miles... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Meteor City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "One of the Most Valuable Meteor Craters on Earth"
- "It's Really Just a Big Hole, But It's Kinda Neat."
- "Meteor Crater"
- "I haven't actually been here!"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Meteor City
- 3 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (82)
Have you been to Meteor City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Meteor City
- Posted in Travel San Francisco Forum "Re: 2 day itenerary for SF with..."
- Uploaded a Video to Meteor City
- Wrote a Review Getting There and Parking in Meteor City Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Getting There and Parking"
- created a Meteor City Travel Page "One of the Most Valuable Meteor Craters on Earth"
Photos in Meteor CitySee All Photos (11)
Videos in Meteor CitySee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 215 reviews, 818 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos