"Historic Railroad and Route 66 Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Kingman by atufft
Kingman Travel Guide: 77 reviews and 268 photos
During this X-mas holiday, I drove with Belinda and Dali to near St. Louis for a gathering with cousins. I managed to mix business and pleasure, using my truck and trailer to deliver loads to Illinois and Michigan, as well as deliver my family from Stockton, CA to the larger family gathering in Illinois. Consequently, we passed through Kingman twice, since I took the less icy I-40 route back east and then returned the same way. I have driven this route countless number of times, but on the return during this holiday venture, my truck's clutch abruptly failed near the Petro truckstop on the eastern edge of town. This required a stop for repairs during two days in Kingman, so we decided to take advantage of the time to visit the historic downtown so often passed by in the past. This was time well spent, not only taking my mind off expensive truck repairs but directing my awareness toward a fascinating desert town.
Besides the relative wealth of historic buildings concentrated mostly on the western corner of Andy Devine Blvd, Kingman is one of the more distinctive towns along famous Route 66. Plus, Kingman is also a rather infamous railroad stop, having been a "water stop" for a coal fired steam locomotive passenger railroad service between Kansas City and Los Angeles. There is plenty to appreciate in this town, which is often overlooked by "snow birds" heading to nearby Las Vegas, Lake Havasu, and other places near the Colorado River.
I didn't get too many great shots of the fantastic rock cut I-40 makes through a butte that divides the city into two parts, but watch for this as you arrive. From the west, there's a rather steep grade on I-40 before a descent into the older part of town. The historic center is off to the right, or south side of the freeway, while the TA truckstop is easily found on the other side of I-40. Then, there's the newer rock cut and grade of I-40 over another a butte that leads into the newer edge of town, where all the hotels and corporate restaurants are located. Route 66 and the railroad curve around this latter butte, connecting on a flat road, the two sides of town. The treeless volcanic butte serves as a spectacular backdrop to the historic downtown.
In 1907 the Kingman Powerhouse began providing electrical power for the town and the miners in the area. The plant is... more travel advice
There are actually a fairly large number of homes listed on the National Register of Historic Places, many of which... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Kingman Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kingman ~Route 66"
- "Basaic Kingman Page"
- "Historic Railroad and Route 66 Town"
- "There's a Very Big Pile of Rocks southeast of Town"
- "Transportation Center"
- "Kingman, Arizona"
- "mafootje's new Kingman Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kingman
- Hotels in Kingman
- Transportation in Kingman
- Restaurants in Kingman
- Warnings and Dangers in Kingman
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kingman
- 8 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Kingman?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kingman
Photos in KingmanSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 208 reviews, 788 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (78)
Latest Kingman hotel reviews
- Silver Queen Inn
- 44 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 10, 2013
- Days Inn Kingman West
- 71 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 5, 2013
- Super 8 Kingman
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Quality Inn Kingman
- 125 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Days Inn Kingman Arizona
- 66 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- SpringHill Suites Kingman Route 66
- 177 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Holiday Inn Express And Suites Kingman
- 107 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Rodeway Inn Kingman
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 22, 2013
- Hualapai Mountain Resort
- 45 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 15, 2013