"Upscale University Town Nearest Grand Canyon" Top 5 Page for this destination Flagstaff by atufft
Flagstaff Travel Guide: 396 reviews and 769 photos
I had heard that there's nothing to do in Flagstaff, but I found insted the quaint downtown worth at least a day of wandering, and during summer nights, Heritage Square is a busy people watching and sidewalk dining experience. For those rushing past on I-40--one of American's main continental thoroughfares--Flagstaff's Business Route 66 is a bit challenging. The towns off I-40 and the old Route 66 are often that way, take a left or right and the old town runs perpendicular to the hwy. But, take the drive time away from behind the wheel and relax at one of Flagstaff's many upscale quality restaurants, particularly within the newly redeveloped Heritage Square. The rest of downtown of late nineteenth and early twentieth century brick and red sandstone buildings have been mostly restored, providing maybe ten square blocks of historic architectural adventure for those interested in Route 66 towns.
Unlike much of Arizona, Flagstaff is on a high plateau of some 7,000 feet, shrouded by a pinewood forest. It's a pleasant climate during summer, and in winter, Flagstaff receives a moderate amount of snow. The air is very clean, and it was here that one of the first astronomical observatories was built. The Lowell Observatory on Mars Hill above Flagstaff is a great experience for adults and children alike.
Looking for a place to stretch our legs and relax during our first quick stop in town, I came upon a hip little latte shop with sandwiches along San Francisco Street. Downtown has a number of boutique shops, and because of town is also host to Northern Arizon University, the city has plenty of energy even downtown.
- Pros:One of the more hip commuities on Route 66
- Cons:High mountains and slightly cold in winter
- In a nutshell:I would consider a stay here if necessary before Grand Canyon
Since 1972, Flagstaff has enjoyed fine professional theater productions at the Doris Harper-White Playhouse. See link... more travel advice
Here are the remaining images of the structures I found interesting at the Lowell Observatory complex. Check it out! more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Flagstaff Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Flagstaff - Route 66"
- "Flagstaff--Ancient Ruins, Craters & Painted Desert"
- "See Historic Flagstaff in Northern Arizona"
- "Town of Surrounding Sites"
- "Upscale University Town Nearest Grand Canyon"
- "I love Flagstaff"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Flagstaff
- Hotels in Flagstaff
- Transportation in Flagstaff
- Nightlife in Flagstaff
- Restaurants in Flagstaff
- Shopping in Flagstaff
- Warnings and Dangers in Flagstaff
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Flagstaff
- 14 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (82)
Have you been to Flagstaff?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Flagstaff
Photos in FlagstaffSee All Photos (43)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 215 reviews, 818 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos