"Venezuela is a beautiful party place" Top 5 Page for this destination Venezuela by atufft

Venezuela Travel Guide: 2,521 reviews and 6,431 photos

Festivals with family and friends

My wife has family in Venezuela, so I'm lucky enough to join in the festivities from time to time. During Christmas, making Hallacas is high on the list of food items. First, cook the ingredients, and then wrap them in a banana leave like a tamale. Then they get steemed or boiled. Typically, many are made and then frozen for use well into the New Year.

Dancing is at it's best in Venezuela

Venezuelan's REALLY know how to dance. We're not talking about the improvisational dancing Norte Americano's do, but partner with partner coordination with known steps. New dances come out all the time, and right now Reggetone is hot. Children, adults, and old folks all dance, and there are many dance partner rituals associated with occasions such as the quinceañera. Don't be bashful; join in. Venezuelan's don't compete about dancing so much as Norte Americans do.

Venezuela has always been a political mess

Oil drains into the pockets of the rich who party all the time while the poor dream of filling their shoes by lottery. Caracas is a crowded and dangerous but wonderful city. Customer service is improving in the new shopping malls, but the banks, post office, and government offices are horrible. Hugo Chavez and George W don't like each other, but they play the same form of bait and switch politics.

• Pros:Fantastic winter time retreat for live music and dancing
  • Cons:Street crime is so dangerous that renting a car is difficult
  • In a nutshell:Venezuela is THE urban caribbean scene.
  • Last visit to Venezuela: Jan 2005
  • Intro Updated Jun 19, 2007

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2012 at 6:55 PM

My parents were stationed in Caracas for a few years. told me a lot about it, nice to see your local customs pages, I very much enjoyed those. Bien hecho!

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2012 at 5:21 PM

I do like persimmon...none grown here that I know of but I think they are found in northern NSW.
    I am interested in dance and the different dancing of other cultures...not that I would have the rhythm of Venezuela. Great page ..Right now I better be off to do the Irish Jig for St Patricks Day.
    Marg

• May 27, 2008 at 12:49 PM

Mamones are sold on the street all over Venezuela. I bought them in San Cristobal, Maracaibo, Coro, Cabimas so yeah. I'm trying to learn what they're called in English. If you have any idea please leat me know. I loved those things!

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2007 at 1:07 AM

Excellent tips for any first timers to Venezuela. Your local tips are super and yummy. Cheers, SL

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2007 at 11:47 AM

The La llovinzna Falls look very beautiful. I see that you have many tips for Venezuela. If we ever decide to venture down there, I will be sure to comb through all your tips.

• ger4444's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2007 at 6:35 PM

amazing country!

• carolinaEspada's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2006 at 4:50 AM

IT IS SOOOOOOO WONDERFULL TO READ ABOUT MY COUNTRY FROM YOUR POINT OF VIEW! MUCHISIMAS GRACIAS!!!!!! C

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2006 at 12:22 AM

Venezuela is special - thx to remind me - greetz

atufft Used To Live Here!

atufft

“California is on the edge of the planet, not the center of the universe”

Badges & Stats in Venezuela

Have you been to Venezuela?