"Dogon Country Adventure" Bandiagara by atufft
Bandiagara Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 122 photos
While Bandiagara is a flat town of relatively little interest, beyond it lay the escarpment where the Dogon people live. The escarpement paths wind over barren rock and through canyon like passages reminiscent of the canyon lands of Utah. Along these often stepped paths, women convey stacks of calabashes full of milk on their heads as they head to market. Despite the steps, the average person can hike this two or so mile stretch without great difficulty, assuming the weather is not hot. We were lucky and had a rather pleasant day. See the advice sections on transportation...
The Tellum were pigmy sized people pushed south by the Dogon perhaps a thousand years ago. The remains of these early people are found in their cliff dwelling architecture. Below these ruins, the Dogon live in their distinctive villages today.
The artwork of the Dogon is famous the world over for it's fanciful spirtual design. Mostly wood carvings of one sort or another, the Dogon door or mask is certainly not the only souvenir to buy along the way. But, chose carefully, as the souvenirs must be carried out and back to Bandiagara.
- Pros:Marvelous landscape for a remote spiritual people
- Cons:guides can leave you stranded by demanding money
- In a nutshell:Prepare yourself carefully for an adventure of a lifetime
Those heading on to Koro and Burkina Faso should consider carefully their transportation options. We left on a Sunday... more travel advice
Before the Dogon tribes drove them out, the pigmy Telem peoples populated the escarpment. Their considerable mud... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Bandiagara Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dogon Country Adventure"
- "FALAISE DU BANDIAGARA"
- "Dogon Treking"
- "Starting point of Dogon Trip"
- "Capital of Dogon Country"
- "Dogon Valley"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bandiagara
- Hotels in Bandiagara
- Transportation in Bandiagara
- Restaurants in Bandiagara
- Shopping in Bandiagara
- Warnings and Dangers in Bandiagara
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bandiagara
- 12 Reviews
- 59 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (82)
Have you been to Bandiagara?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bandiagara
- Posted in Travel San Francisco Forum "Re: 2 day itenerary for SF with..."
- Commented on one of renatob's Bandiagara travel pages
- Wrote a Review Transportation from Bandiagara to Koro in Bandiagara Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Transportation from Bandiagara to Koro"
- created a Bandiagara Travel Page "Dogon Country Adventure"
Photos in BandiagaraSee All Photos (59)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 215 reviews, 818 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos