"Djenne is a Market Town with a Great Mud Mosque" Top 5 Page for this destination Djenne by atufft
Djenne Travel Guide: 75 reviews and 210 photos
For the world, the world's largest mud building is certainly the attraction here. But, the building wouldn't have been so grand if Djenne were not also a great market town. The Mosque itself is barely a century old, and needs refurbishment with mud every year as a matter of ceremony, so what really drives this town is the local bargaining and exchange of dried fish, calabashes, and other goods.
The context of the market is before the mosque, and so people watching here provides a regular photographic backdrop of the mosque itself. The market goers dress up in their best and most exotic garments, and so for the casual tourist, it's a true photo safari. Capturing images without disturbing the subject is fairly easy here, but one still has to be quick with the camera.
While one might be disappointed by not being able to go inside the mosque, in reality the structure is best viewed from outside. Inside is a complex support structure that interferes with the view. This isn't like the cathedrals of Europe. It's more like the Taj Mahal, which has the same draw back. Nevertheless, the people have a good right to be proud of this exotic piece of architecture.
- Pros:Wonderful photo safari of architecture and people
- Cons:local accommodations are not the best
- In a nutshell:Can't miss Djenne if you come to Mali
The stunning costumery that market goers wore impressed me a lot. I found both men and women in exotic tribal dress and... more travel advice
Taking portraits of tribal people is not easy because they misunderstand or mistrust the gadgetry of the camera, not... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Djenne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Djenne is a Market Town with a Great Mud Mosque"
- "Djenné: mixed feelings..."
- "Djenne - Impressive 14th Century Mud Mosquee"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Djenne
- Hotels in Djenne
- Transportation in Djenne
- Nightlife in Djenne
- Restaurants in Djenne
- Shopping in Djenne
- Warnings and Dangers in Djenne
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Djenne
- 13 Reviews
- 61 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (82)
Have you been to Djenne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Djenne
Photos in DjenneSee All Photos (61)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 215 reviews, 818 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos