"Segou and the Niger River" Segou by atufft
Segou Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 75 photos
On our way from Burkina Faso to Djenne, we stayed a day in Segou. We found this sleepy town a worthwhile stay due to the great views of the Niger river. The town has a seawall along it, so river access is easy without risk of getting flooded. At the time we visited the port was mainly being used for the distribution of sand, the ingredient required for concrete building construction, but mostly we watched the boats slowly ply the river.
A young man met us late at night when we arrived, and since he wasn't too pushy, we agreed to have him come again in the morning after breakfast. He led us to the port and we climbed into a leaky handmade boat which could ply the shallow waters. The Niger is quite wide, but very shallow at the time we visited.
Bozo and Fulani villages line the shore of the other side, and those there were delighted to greet us. Children played and adults showed us their homes and work.
- Pros:Segou is a pleasant place to appreciate the Niger River
- Cons:It's a sleepy town with not a lot to do after dark
- In a nutshell:Good place to stop for a day or so
Private hired pirogues will take tourists across the shallow Niger river to the villages on the other side. Some... more travel advice
The other side of the Niger river has a number of peaceful Fulani and Bozo villages worth a morning visit. The homes,... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Segou Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Segou and the Niger River"
- "Segou: the old capital of the kingdom Bambara"
- "Textiles, Pottery and ancient Bambara capital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Segou
- Hotels in Segou
- Transportation in Segou
- Nightlife in Segou
- Restaurants in Segou
- Shopping in Segou
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Segou
- 7 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (151)
Have you been to Segou?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Segou
Photos in SegouSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 228 reviews, 849 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos