"The Village with the Oldest Building in Ghana" Larabanga by atufft
Larabanga Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 99 photos
Visitors to Mole National Park might as well spend a few hours in the village of Larabanga, as it is located on the road leading to the park entrance. The old rusty buses that ply these dirt highways make a stop here. When we visited, it was prior to sunrise as we had left Mole and were heading toward Wa in the Upper West region of Ghana. However, the bus leaving Mole was destine east for Tamale, not Wa, so we chose to eat breakfast and wander around town, as we waited for another bus heading west.
Since Larabanga is a very small town, it wasn't long before the Imam's son and his friends found us. He was eager to show us the old mosque. We walked through the village, past homes with smoking fires, and I was able to shoot these wonderful sunrise shots. Later, we returned to the crossroads and ate breakfast.
The wait for the bus was about four hours, a short time in this part of the country. But, it seemed like an eternity as we weren't guaranteed that the bus would arrive, and the accomodations in Larabanga were below our usual standards. So, the Imam's son took me around to meet his blind father, and we played with the children. Eventually, the bus did arrive.
- Pros:The great mud mosque and Larabanga hospitality
- Cons:One can get stranded here for days
- In a nutshell:Larabanga is a must stop, for a variety of reasons.
We shared a taxi from the bus station in Tamale to Mole National Park, but after leaving the park, the women returned to... more travel advice
The Imam's son invited us to walk to his father's house to meet him. The old man was comfortably seated, but blind. The... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Larabanga Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Village with the Oldest Building in Ghana"
- "Larabanga, village with The Mosque"
- "Larabanga and its Mosque"
- "Old mosque of larabanga"
- "Kamara people"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Larabanga
- Hotels in Larabanga
- Transportation in Larabanga
- Restaurants in Larabanga
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Larabanga
- 7 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (83)
Have you been to Larabanga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Larabanga
Photos in LarabangaSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 215 reviews, 818 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos