"Mole is an ecosystem that supports wild Elephants" Top 5 Page for this destination Mole National Park by atufft

Mole National Park Travel Guide: 62 reviews and 271 photos

Mole has animals

Normally, West Africa is not the destination for safari seeking tourists as the game have become relatively scarce. The depletion of game is not comparable to the rank absence in Europe and the United States, none the less, the growing population of West Africa is clearing out the "bush meat". The rich ecosystem at Mole provides an exception to this general picture, and the commitment of the government to ensure that it stays that way, affords viewing a wide variety of cloven hoofed animals, boar, buffalo, baboons, monkeys, alligator, and, of course, elephants. Moreover, most of these species can be seen within a few hundred yards of the hotel. The park is much larger than what can be seen by foot or jeep from the hotel though, and most visitors will see only the southern corner of the Ghana's largest national park.

Hire a guide and take a walk

I was given to share a guide with three women from London, one of whom demanded prior to the start that this noisey American "please keep your voice down so as not to scare the animals". Since I had tracked game before in California's Sierra Mountains and elsewhere, I wondered whether I was with the right group. Fortunately for everyone, except perhaps the animals, the first sightings were near the garbage dump of the resident workers. Later, we waded with rubber boots through the wetland bog near a lake where alligators and elephants like to mingle.

Don't expect to find a lion

As noted earlier, Mole National Park is very large even by American standards, but the chances of spotting a lion are still remote. Since we had time for just one small corner of the park, the opportunity to observe a lion was disappointingly absent. Even so, we found many other animals to observe in our hike, and the journey to get to the park is well worth the effort. During the afternoon, I hired my own guide to venture into the wild once again.

• Pros:Mole is remote from the average tourist beat. It's not crowded
  • Cons:Transportation and hotel facilities are underdeveloped
  • In a nutshell:Mole is an important stop on the way north through Ghana
  • Last visit to Mole National Park: Jul 2005
  • Intro Updated Mar 24, 2007

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2011 at 10:55 PM

Hi Alan, a wonderful page that really gives the reader an impression of the park! Great pictures of the animals.
    Ghana has always been one of my dream destinations in Africa, I hope that I can go there in a few years... I will visit more of your pages in the future, you have many interesting destinations that are not covered by many VTers!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2009 at 5:15 PM

Thanks for this comprehensive description of the animals and visitor amenities at Mole NP! Your photos are beautiful, even though it is strange to see such lush countryside from someone used to East/Central Africa game park scenes!

• SteveOSF's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2008 at 10:43 AM

Informative page on this beautiful spot. Great pictures!

• Ekahau's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2007 at 3:41 AM

Ghana in fact all of West Africa is unknown really Mole is a beautiful place thanks. I grew up in Sierra Leone went to univ and Medical school in California

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2007 at 5:19 PM

Wow fantastic page! Now I have a new destination to add to my must see list.

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2007 at 1:21 AM

Amazing pictures! Did your elephant tracker notice the elephant behind the buildings in the 2nd of your "Hire your own guide" pics... he seems to be well hidden behind the tin outhouse.

• grets's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2006 at 10:57 PM

More animals than I expected. We're off to Ghana and Mole in December - your pictures have really whetted my appetite. Thanks :-)

• Oct 13, 2006 at 11:35 PM

I never knew Ghana was so beautiful, the animals are amazing, reading the tips I learned many things about Mole and how it has the largest herds of elephants in Ghana. The trip from Tamale to Mole sounded kind of rough but i will still like to take visit.

• Jan 24, 2006 at 11:34 AM

Mr. Tufft I liked the picture of the elephant. How close were you actually to it? Because the picture is really good. Africa seems beautiful maybe I will go there some day!

• Aug 30, 2005 at 3:30 PM

where the heck is this park?

atufft

“California is on the edge of the planet, not the center of the universe”

Badges & Stats in Mole National Park

Have you been to Mole National Park?