"Mole is an ecosystem that supports wild Elephants" Top 5 Page for this destination Mole National Park by atufft
Mole National Park Travel Guide: 62 reviews and 271 photos
Normally, West Africa is not the destination for safari seeking tourists as the game have become relatively scarce. The depletion of game is not comparable to the rank absence in Europe and the United States, none the less, the growing population of West Africa is clearing out the "bush meat". The rich ecosystem at Mole provides an exception to this general picture, and the commitment of the government to ensure that it stays that way, affords viewing a wide variety of cloven hoofed animals, boar, buffalo, baboons, monkeys, alligator, and, of course, elephants. Moreover, most of these species can be seen within a few hundred yards of the hotel. The park is much larger than what can be seen by foot or jeep from the hotel though, and most visitors will see only the southern corner of the Ghana's largest national park.
I was given to share a guide with three women from London, one of whom demanded prior to the start that this noisey American "please keep your voice down so as not to scare the animals". Since I had tracked game before in California's Sierra Mountains and elsewhere, I wondered whether I was with the right group. Fortunately for everyone, except perhaps the animals, the first sightings were near the garbage dump of the resident workers. Later, we waded with rubber boots through the wetland bog near a lake where alligators and elephants like to mingle.
As noted earlier, Mole National Park is very large even by American standards, but the chances of spotting a lion are still remote. Since we had time for just one small corner of the park, the opportunity to observe a lion was disappointingly absent. Even so, we found many other animals to observe in our hike, and the journey to get to the park is well worth the effort. During the afternoon, I hired my own guide to venture into the wild once again.
- Pros:Mole is remote from the average tourist beat. It's not crowded
- Cons:Transportation and hotel facilities are underdeveloped
- In a nutshell:Mole is an important stop on the way north through Ghana
The wild boar are ugly looking animals that hang around with either the deer or elephants in numerous places at Mole.... more travel advice
Mole has the largest herds of Elephants in Ghana. They are not as large as other parts of West Africa, such as in Mali... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Mole National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mole National Park"
- "Mole National Park"
- "Mole is an ecosystem that supports wild Elephants"
- "Mole N.P., where the Ghanaian elephants live..."
- "Mole national Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mole National Park
- Hotels in Mole National Park
- Transportation in Mole National Park
- Nightlife in Mole National Park
- Restaurants in Mole National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Mole National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mole National Park
- 11 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (151)
Have you been to Mole National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mole National Park
- Posted in Travel San Francisco Forum "Re: Events in San Francisco"
- updated a Mole National Park Travel Page "Mole is an ecosystem that supports wild Elephants"
- Commented on one of Pieter11's Mole National Park travel pages
- Wrote a Review Pack your cameras! in Mole National Park What to Pack
- Uploaded a Photo to "Watch Silly Wild Boar"
Photos in Mole National ParkSee All Photos (50)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 228 reviews, 849 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos