"Abu Simbel--Warning Sign to the Nubian South" Temple of Abu Simbel by atufft
Temple of Abu Simbel Travel Guide: 266 reviews and 919 photos
There are other places to read in detail about the modern engineering feat to relocate Abu Simbel from it's original location along the upper Nile River. In it's original location, relatively few Egyptian monuments were placed further south into Nubia and the Sudan. Thus, from it's design, Abu Simbel appears to be the for the ancient traveler the first major monument found if sailing downstream from the Sudan. For those black tribesman bringing gifts to the pharoah, Abu Simbel must have appeared even more awesome than it does to the tourist today.
The huge seated statues of Rameses, and the constant reminders carved into the reliefs of Ramses power to punish his enemies, must have been a symbol of power in ancient times. When Belzoni and others found it, sand filled halfway up the interior pillars.
While many of the temples are placed according to the stars, sun, and moon, Abu Simbel is one of those few that is oriented so that sunlight reaches through to the furthest interior room. When we departed Aswan in the early morning of January, 1997, concerns about desert assaults on tourists lingered as the Egyptian army cued up vehicles, large and small, for a convoy run across the desert. The desert seemed bleak enough in the trip out, but at Abu Simbel, a considerable army of tourists arrived ready to appreciate the stone artwork.
- Pros:One of the Most Important Monuments in Ancient Egypt
- Cons:The trek across the desert is more time consuming than for other temples
- In a nutshell:While time consuming to get there, Abu Simbel caps off a good Egyptian Tour
Hathor Temple is smaller than Abu Simbel, but no less photogenic. Check out these shots. more travel advice
The Temple of Hathor was built as a tribute to Ramses II favorite wife, Nefertari. She wasn't his only wife, but the... more travel advice
atufft's Related Pages
Temple of Abu Simbel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Went back to Egypt in May 2005"
- "Abu Simbel Temples"
- "Thank you all, who shared in saving our heritage"
- "Temple of Abu Simbel"
- "The Amazing Temples of Abu Simbel"
- "Abu Simbel--Warning Sign to the Nubian South"
- "Abu Simbel"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Hotels in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Transportation in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Nightlife in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Restaurants in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Shopping in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Warnings and Dangers in Temple of Abu Simbel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Temple of Abu Simbel
- 11 Reviews
- 55 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (82)
Have you been to Temple of Abu Simbel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Temple of Abu Simbel
Photos in Temple of Abu SimbelSee All Photos (55)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 215 reviews, 818 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos