Luxor Local Custom Tips by atufft Top 5 Page for this destination
Luxor Local Customs: 30 reviews and 48 photos
Alabastar Vase from Luxor
Vendors can be pests at times, so a polite way to turn them away is to say "no thankyou" in Arabic. La="no" and "Shukron="thank you", so say, La Shukron. If someone says this to you for some favor, say at the close of a meal, say "Afawan", which basically means "your welcome". Incidentally, "nam" = "yes". The Arabic language is traditionally classified as a semitic, not an indo-european language, so many of the common words can be amusingly contrary to American/European sensibilities. La=no and nam=yes, are two such examples. A recent Arabic friend argues that Arabic is rooted in the same language family as ancient Egyptian.
More Reviews (46)
- See All Train from/to Cairo or Aswan
- Dining and Strolling on the Streets of...
- The Great Belzoni
- See All Site of 1997 Tourist Massacre
atufft's Related Pages
Luxor Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "We are going to Luxor...."
- "One week in Luxor"
- "Two-Thirds of Egypt's Ruins are Here"
- "L U X O R"
- "Luxor - Nile Cruise"
- "Luxor Temple Pictures"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Luxor
- Hotels in Luxor
- Transportation in Luxor
- Nightlife in Luxor
- Restaurants in Luxor
- Shopping in Luxor
- Warnings and Dangers in Luxor
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Luxor
- 47 Reviews
- 198 Photos
- 12 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (83)
Have you been to Luxor?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Luxor
- Posted in Travel Italy Forum "Re: What to see and how to get..."
- updated a Luxor Travel Page "Two-Thirds of Egypt's Ruins are Here"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Two-Thirds of Egypt's Ruins are Here"
- Commented on one of atufft's Luxor travel pages
- Wrote a Review Train from/to Cairo or Aswan about Trains in Luxor Transportation
Photos in LuxorSee All Photos (198)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 215 reviews, 818 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 63 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copán Intro, 48 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 47 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 41 reviews, 181 photos
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus Intro, 41 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Intro, 33 reviews, 152 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 37 reviews, 137 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (78)
- Karnak Temple- 179 Reviews, 335 Photos
- Valley of the Kings- 132 Reviews, 222 Photos
- Temple of Hatshepsut- 92 Reviews, 232 Photos
- Luxor Temple- 130 Reviews, 303 Photos
- Felluca Rides- 28 Reviews, 57 Photos
- Colossi of Memnon- 60 Reviews, 91 Photos
- The Souks or Market- 15 Reviews, 44 Photos
- Luxor Museum- 21 Reviews, 38 Photos
- Valley of the Queens- 21 Reviews, 37 Photos
- Ramesseum- 10 Reviews, 33 Photos
See All Luxor Things to Do